Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod model A1288, version 4.2.1 with WiFi

I realize there is tons of info out there about how to get music onto an old version of an iPod. However, some mention that if WiFi is available, there is hope. Before I continue, as a tech challenged person to start with, to try and download everything that is recommended and it turns out it doesn’t work after all, I thought I’d ask this community first. Is there a way for my 8yr old son who was given an old iPod to get music other than buying from iTunes? Since there is WiFi, I feel we should be able to subscribe to a music app or something.

Thank you for your time!

iPod Touch (2nd Gen)

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 2:34 PM

The Problem is the age of the iPod. Its almost 12 years old, and running an iOS version that was superseded almost 9 years ago. Even if it does have wifi, it will be close to impossible to find an app that still runs on it at this point to download music.

The only realistic choice, is to use iTunes on a computer (Mac or PC) and sync the music onto the iPod.

Note that the music can be from any source, it does not absolutely have to be bought from the iTunes Store. It can be from ripped CD's or other sources. As long as it can be imported into the iTunes application on a computer it can be synced to the iPod. Keep in mind though that online streaming apps like Pandora, Spotify, Amazon Music, etc... will likely not work as they protect their files to be playable only within their own apps.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2020 2:34 PM in response to sabine193

The Problem is the age of the iPod. Its almost 12 years old, and running an iOS version that was superseded almost 9 years ago. Even if it does have wifi, it will be close to impossible to find an app that still runs on it at this point to download music.

The only realistic choice, is to use iTunes on a computer (Mac or PC) and sync the music onto the iPod.

Note that the music can be from any source, it does not absolutely have to be bought from the iTunes Store. It can be from ripped CD's or other sources. As long as it can be imported into the iTunes application on a computer it can be synced to the iPod. Keep in mind though that online streaming apps like Pandora, Spotify, Amazon Music, etc... will likely not work as they protect their files to be playable only within their own apps.

Jan 9, 2020 12:09 PM in response to sabine193

Only the iPod Touch has access to Apple Music, but also has access to Apps and an app store. Its not loaded with other apps. It has a compliment of pre-installed apps like the Camera app, Photos app, Notes, Email, Safari etc... , but anything else would need to be downloaded from the App store. You can of course restrict the downloading of any other Apps from the App Store, and remove some of the built in ones if you want, but there some that you won't be able to remove from it.

For Apple Music you need at least a 5th Generation iPod Touch, though you won't be able to delete any built in apps on a 5th gen. 6th and 7th generation iPod touches can have some of the built in Apps removed.

See here: Delete built-in Apple apps on your iOS 12, iOS 13, or iPadOS device or Apple Watch - Apple Support

See here to lock down the iPod: Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

You may also want to look into Family Sharing if you are not already using it, to allow the iPod to use your Apple Music subscription without messing up your music library: Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

Jan 8, 2020 2:04 PM in response to sabine193

Hello,

You have to keep in mind that this is an iPod touch (2nd generation) which was released over 12 years ago. It’s support ended before any of the current mainstream music subscription services were created. I do not believe even the iTunes Store will function on this legacy iPod model. The only way to get music onto this iPod would be to purchase it from the iTunes Store on a Macintosh or Windows PC and synchronize the iPod with that computer.

Jan 9, 2020 4:52 AM in response to QuickPost

Thank you, zmclearan, for your response. I had a sinking feeling that this is not going to be an easy fix. It’s sad because my son enjoys searching for music on my phone and then of course it’s so easy to get any song we like through Apple Music. This is a serious step back, and I wouldn’t mind it so much from a technological point of view (just to show the kid what it was like back in the days) if it didn’t involve me now needing to help him and pay for it. Let alone letting him mess with my Mac. Anyways, thanks a lot for replying to me so quickly.

Jan 9, 2020 5:03 AM in response to Phil0124

Thank you Phil for your fast response. I can only repeat what I told zmclearan above.

I had a feeling that this was not going to work out. I knew it was an old iPod, didn’t realize it was THAT old.

Would you know perhaps if any of the “newer” older versions of iPods would work? Perhaps I could get one on eBay.

We had the discussion over Christmas because we wanted a music player for our son, just not the newest iPod that Apple currently offers that looks like a phone and has way too many other distracting features on it. We want just a music player, but with the ease of being able to use Apple Music to mess around and play with music. Obviously, that would mean the iPod has WiFi, I just don’t need it to be loaded with other apps, is what I’m trying to say.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

iPod model A1288, version 4.2.1 with WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.