Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I send sms messages on my ipad

why can't I send sms messages on my ipad

iPad, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 3:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 3:59 PM

SMS messages are sent via a cellular provider's text messaging plan and that is only available on phones. About iMessage and SMS/MMS - Apple Support

If you have an iPhone, you can however use Continuity to send an SMS message from the iPad through the iPhone. See: Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2020 3:59 PM in response to auntnono

SMS messages are sent via a cellular provider's text messaging plan and that is only available on phones. About iMessage and SMS/MMS - Apple Support

If you have an iPhone, you can however use Continuity to send an SMS message from the iPad through the iPhone. See: Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Jan 8, 2020 4:52 PM in response to auntnono

Because an iPad cannot connect to any cellular telephone voice network, and SMS and MMS are sent over part of the telephone voice spectrum, not the data spectrum nor the internet.

SMS/MMS are very old technologies nowadays, and actually pre-date the internet. They use a small portion of unused bandwidth in the cellular telephone voice spectrum, and thus requires a cellular telephone. A data only device like an iPad cannot connect ot the necessary spectrum to use SMS/MMS natively.

Why can't I send sms messages on my ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.