Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"other" Storage on ipad pro

Hi. I hope someone can help me.

4 weeks ago I bought my first ipad pro (512Gb).

I'm a Photographer and bought it for my workflow when I'm not home.

Now I put a lot of Photos om my ipad, on it, edited them in lightroom, and then Exporte and erased them on "on my ipad".

Now I have only 131 GB left, although I erased the pictures.

I guess the ipad made copies of them internally, and called them "other storage".

How can I get rid of it? Can anyone please help??

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 5:35 AM

5 replies

Jan 9, 2020 6:24 AM in response to PeterSchmitz

Lightroom maintains its own “Local Storage” which is a separate container from iPad Photos. Material can be imported, manipulated - and then exported back to the iPad Photos album.

Deletion from iPad Photos does not delete the Lightroom storage space - which your screenshot suggests consumes a significant proportion of your total storage space. The “other” category includes all non-system data cached/stored in App private storage - including Lightroom’s Local Storage.

If you need to recover storage from Lightroom, you will need to delete photos from the Lightroom Local Storage folder - within the Lightroom App itself. This storage area are cannot be deleted from iPad settings - or directly accessed from the iPad Photos App.

I hope this is helpful in resolving the problem.

Jan 9, 2020 6:27 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for the fast response. I never Imported/exported them to ipad Photos, so I didn't delete them there. I always imported/exported from and to the internal files om my ipad.

Even in lightroom cc I erased the files, and even in the map "recently delete files". Now at the moment, I have 239Gb of “other storage" on my 512gb ipad pro. Please can you Tell me how exactly I can erase those 239Gb from my "other data", or is there maybe a way that I can erase the lightroomcatalogus? Maybe the 239Gb is hidden in there???

Jan 9, 2020 7:00 AM in response to PeterSchmitz

Your iPad Photos storage (for the native Photos App) is “logically” separate from the Lightroom Local Storage on your iPad, but both consume storage space from the available memory on your device.

Are you certain that any other Apps installed on your iPad are not consuming a proportion of the “Other” space?

Your screenshot suggests that LR is consuming about 100GB (in the region of 20% of your total usable storage space) - so you may some other Apps similarly caching data in their own private storage spaces. If any other Apps are storing data in their own “pools”, this must be deleted from within each of the offending Apps.

"other" Storage on ipad pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.