Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way by which an external hard disk can be used on Mac as well as Windows laptops with R/W?

If a external hard disk is formatted using MS Windows based system, then that HD can be used only to read in Mac Book but cant be used to write the data. Same is when HD is formatted in Mac, it cant bee used in MS Windows system.

Is there a way by which we can format the HD to any specific FS so that it can be used in both Mac & Windows based system for Read & Write data?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 6:37 AM

9 replies

Jan 9, 2020 7:26 AM in response to steve359

steve359 wrote:

exFAT works, but at one point in time you needed to format the drive on the PC instead of the Mac. Something like "sector size" that Mac sets that does not agree with PC but PC setting agrees with Mac. That may have been fixed since.

IIRC the drive needs to be formatted on the Mac using Disk Utility since macOS cannot read all of the sector sizes Windows uses with exFAT. From what I understand Windows may use larger sector sizes which macOS cannot understand. I also don't know if Apple has addressed this issue yet.

Jan 9, 2020 7:46 AM in response to HWTech

HWTech wrote:
IIRC the drive needs to be formatted on the Mac using Disk Utility since macOS cannot read all of the sector sizes Windows uses with exFAT. From what I understand Windows may use larger sector sizes which macOS cannot understand. I also don't know if Apple has addressed this issue yet.

I don't know about that. I've never had problems with ExFat drives formatted on a Windows computer. But I likely have not experienced every possible scenario.

Jan 9, 2020 8:03 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

BobTheFisherman wrote:

I don't know about that. I've never had problems with ExFat drives formatted on a Windows computer. But I likely have not experienced every possible scenario.

It may only happen with Win10 when using larger drives. See the third answer in this thread which mentions the larger sector size (unfortunately I don't see a way to provide a direct link). The thread also shows people having issues reading exFAT drives formatted by a Mac.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/0cabfefb-5030-4cce-b640-e8ee72bf1644/cannot-read-exfat-drives-created-on-mac-os?forum=w8itproappcompat

Jan 9, 2020 10:14 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Hah! I'm not crazy. Reading this thread I started out thinking, "I know I had to format the drive on my work Windows computer for my work Mac to read it but I think I remember doing that later at home and wound up reformatting it on my Mac so both could read/write." So maybe inbetween OS versions changed. Or maybe it was the size of the drive. Or the weather.

Is there a way by which an external hard disk can be used on Mac as well as Windows laptops with R/W?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.