Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean install of High Sierra after HD replacement

I found a mid-2010 13" Macbook Pro (A1278) really cheap at Goodwill, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. It had disk errors when trying to boot, so I installed a new 256gb SSD.

I had a coworker create a High Sierra recovery USB, but when I try to boot from it I get the circle/line on the screen. I've also tried creating bootable USB with different DMGs I've found on the internet using TransMac on a Windows 10 box with no luck.

Is there a special trick I need to to use to get the OS installed on this box? Or would it be easier to purchase a DVD recovery set off eBay? Or are ISOs for the DVD set downloadable from Apple?

I'm a long time Linux Guy, so this is a bit out of my wheelhouse. Please, be gentle. :)

Thanks!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 8:25 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Jan 9, 2020 10:57 AM in response to Dervari

Dervari Said:

It has no OS on the HD to boot to get to the system preferences.[...]

———-

Use a USB Bootable Installer:

With this now being the case, install the macOS from a USB Bootable Installer. Get it from none other than Apple. Use a USB stick of 16GB for this.

Go Here: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

1. Connect: to WiFi on the top-right of the page.
  2. Go to: Utilities menu
  3. Open: Terminal
  4. Use: the Command pertaining to your MacOS. Use High Sierra.

Jan 9, 2020 11:19 AM in response to Dervari

Dervari Said:

[...].I don't have another Mac to create this on. I only have Linux and Windows.

———-

Use another Mac, Somehow:

More Methods for this:

Use Another Mac for the Installer:

Create the USB Bootable Installer using Terminal on another Mac, with a macOS already installed. The Command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Use Spotlight Search:

Go Here: Use Spotlight on your Mac - Apple Support

While Booted into Mac, locate Terminal, by holding down shift, and pressing the spacebar. The type Terminal, it will pop right up.

Reinstall macOS from Recovery Mode:

Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support. Press this upon boot, with Wi-F enabled:

• [Option+Command+R]. That will allow you to upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.

If that does not work, use:

• [Shift+Option+Command+R]. That will Reinstall the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Jan 9, 2020 10:03 AM in response to Dervari

Derivatives Said:

Clean install of High Sierra after HD replacement:[...] It had disk errors when trying to boot, so I installed a new 256gb SSD. I had a coworker create a High Sierra recovery USB, but when I try to boot from it I get the circle/line on the screen.[...]

———-

Have you Mounted the Drive? If not, do so, then attempt this install.

1. Boot Into: Recovery Mode on your Mac: Immediately press and hold Command-R)
  2. Go To: Utilities menu, located atop the screen
  3. Select: Disk Utility (from the Utilities menu)
  4. Click: Continue
  5. Go to: The Left side-bar, of Disk Utility
  6. Select: the volume that you using
  7. Choose: File menu
  8. Choose: Mount
  9. Enter: your Administrator password when prompted.
  10. Quit: Disk Utility
  11. Restart Your Mac.
  12. Attempt a New Install.

Note: If the volume is already mounted, the option to mount is greyed-out. So, above would not apply.

Clean install of High Sierra after HD replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.