Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie import sees hard drive but wont open folder

new project, then import opens fine. shows video folder there, but won't expand it with carrot or open it on double click so i can access the files i want.. no messages telling me why and i see nothing in menus to change settings and allow access.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 8:53 AM

I am running iMovie 10.1.12 on Mojave and am not able to create your issue. Movies in folders on an external drive import just fine. So the problem possibly is related your your upgrades.

It might be a permissions issue. Do a Control-click/Get Info on the folder and see what permissions are assigned. You want it to be read and write. Also, on the drive icon itself do a control-click/Get Info and, when the information box appears, scroll down to the bottom and click the box that says ignore permissions on this volume. See if that cures it.

Also, sometimes import problems can be cured by deleting preferences. To do that open iMovie while holding down the option and command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you can import from the folder on the external drive.

You could also try redownloading iMovie. Drag the iMovie app from the Applications folder into the trash, but don't empty the trash. Then sign in to the app store and open your account by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. When your account opens you will see a list of your purchases, including iMovie. See if you can redownload it there. If not, move your old iMovie app out of the trash and replace it in the Applications folder. However, the download should be successful. See if you can import after redownloading.

As a workaround you might try dragging the folder to your computer drive and from there dragging the media into iMovie. Or maybe opening the folder on the external drive and dragging the media from there into iMovie.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2020 8:53 AM in response to jeffc2632

I am running iMovie 10.1.12 on Mojave and am not able to create your issue. Movies in folders on an external drive import just fine. So the problem possibly is related your your upgrades.

It might be a permissions issue. Do a Control-click/Get Info on the folder and see what permissions are assigned. You want it to be read and write. Also, on the drive icon itself do a control-click/Get Info and, when the information box appears, scroll down to the bottom and click the box that says ignore permissions on this volume. See if that cures it.

Also, sometimes import problems can be cured by deleting preferences. To do that open iMovie while holding down the option and command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you can import from the folder on the external drive.

You could also try redownloading iMovie. Drag the iMovie app from the Applications folder into the trash, but don't empty the trash. Then sign in to the app store and open your account by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. When your account opens you will see a list of your purchases, including iMovie. See if you can redownload it there. If not, move your old iMovie app out of the trash and replace it in the Applications folder. However, the download should be successful. See if you can import after redownloading.

As a workaround you might try dragging the folder to your computer drive and from there dragging the media into iMovie. Or maybe opening the folder on the external drive and dragging the media from there into iMovie.

-- Rich

Jan 14, 2020 4:07 AM in response to Rich839

Rich - thanks for the attention.

Goal is to use the import tool to pull MP4s from external hard drive into an iMovie project so i can use them to make a movie. Opening a new project works fine, import button opens a file browser, it shows the hard drives i want to use. But it won't open the video folder when i select it and try to navigate into it. And it gives me no error message or access denial message.

I have been using this program for years and never had a problem. So there is a setting or permission in iMovie or Finder or Settings that i can't find to say allow this access. This did happen when i upgraded the operating system and as a result had to reinstall iMovie.

Thanks i hope this is more clear.

imovie import sees hard drive but wont open folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.