Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the light sensor on my MacBook air 2017?

I can't find the ambient light sensor for my backlight keyboard. My hardware is a MacBook Air 2017 model and there is nothing next to the camera. Where is the sensor??

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 2:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 12:41 PM

Roughly 1/2 inch to the right of the camera. You cannot see it because it is covered with a tinted and transparent plate. If you want to experiment and confirm then operate your computer in a bright area and note the screen brightness. Cover the portion of the camera area with your palm and your screen should dim to accommodate for less light hitting the sensor.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2020 12:41 PM in response to i_had_the_flu_

Roughly 1/2 inch to the right of the camera. You cannot see it because it is covered with a tinted and transparent plate. If you want to experiment and confirm then operate your computer in a bright area and note the screen brightness. Cover the portion of the camera area with your palm and your screen should dim to accommodate for less light hitting the sensor.

Axel F.

Where is the light sensor on my MacBook air 2017?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.