Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

existing file names greyed out when saving from apps

I've had this problem since I started using my Mac several years ago. Having just upgraded to a Macbook Pro 2018, I was hoping this issue would go away but it's still happening.

When I'm saving a document/image, I see the directory list but all the existing document names are greyed out making it difficult to see, for example, if I already have a file of that name or if I'm working in the right folder.

This does not happen in Finder itself, only in the directory presentation when saving.

For example, when saving an image (any format/file extension) in Preview - see attached screenshot

Or from MS Word for Mac (docx, doc, pdf etc) - see attached screenshot

Any ideas how I can get the file names un-greyed?

Macbook Pro 2018 macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Thanks

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 4:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 2:00 PM

Hi, Doug,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities about the files you see when saving documents in apps. If I understand, you're concerned over how light the file and folder names appear. I'm happy to help!

It is normal for the file and folder names to appear greyed out when you're saving a document within an app. While you cannot change how dark or light this appears specifically, you do have some options that may help you see those file and folder names clearer:

1. Try increasing the contrast for your display: Change Display preferences for accessibility on Mac - Apple Support.
  2. Try setting up zoom: Change Zoom preferences for accessibility on Mac - Apple Support. This will allow you to see the grey words better, and hopefully make saving your documents easier. The great thing about zoom is you can enable it as you need to use it with a keyboard shortcut, so you can easily switch between being zoomed in and out.

Cheers!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2020 2:00 PM in response to dougfromware

Hi, Doug,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities about the files you see when saving documents in apps. If I understand, you're concerned over how light the file and folder names appear. I'm happy to help!

It is normal for the file and folder names to appear greyed out when you're saving a document within an app. While you cannot change how dark or light this appears specifically, you do have some options that may help you see those file and folder names clearer:

1. Try increasing the contrast for your display: Change Display preferences for accessibility on Mac - Apple Support.
  2. Try setting up zoom: Change Zoom preferences for accessibility on Mac - Apple Support. This will allow you to see the grey words better, and hopefully make saving your documents easier. The great thing about zoom is you can enable it as you need to use it with a keyboard shortcut, so you can easily switch between being zoomed in and out.

Cheers!

existing file names greyed out when saving from apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.