You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Black Screen - Chime

MacBook Pro 15-Inch "Core i7" 2.66 Mid-2010

When you push power button

• it DOES chime.
  • NO keyboard back light
  • NO image on screen
  • NO screen back light

This has been sitting for awhile, not sure where original hdd has gone. I had installed what i thought was the original hdd (turned out to be from an old Windows laptop)

when this was connected and turn the Macbook Pro on, the usual was happening, however out of curiosity i connected an external monitor and was greeted with a blank screen with blinking underscore

(assuming because incompatible software)

so i then took the ssd from another macbook pro i have to see if it would boot/ run normally to external screen.

With the SSD connected, the usual blank screen, no lights but then the machine will turn itself off.

if i disconnect SSD leaving no boot disc the machine will boot chime, fans run etc but will stay running.

Worth noting, i can't see any obvious corrosion around display connector, or anywhere for that matter.

I have removed RAM. I have tried different RAM. i have tried SMC & PRAM/NVRAM reset.

I cant find any info on the web about this specific scenario, unless I'm hopeless at searching.

Any info, suggestions welcome!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 9:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 9:47 PM

djcoopyd Said:

"Macbook Pro Black Screen - Chime: i can't see any obvious corrosion around display connector, or anywhere for that matter I have removed RAM. I have tried different RAM. i have tried SMC & PRAM/NVRAM reset. I cant find any info on the web about this specific scenario, unless I'm hopeless at searching."

-------

Go Here: If your Mac doesn't Turn On or Start Up - Apple Support

Using External Devices: Try Resetting the SMC and NVRAM, but this time, using an external keyboard. Connect an external monitor and see if you get an output.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 10, 2020 9:47 PM in response to djcoopyd

djcoopyd Said:

"Macbook Pro Black Screen - Chime: i can't see any obvious corrosion around display connector, or anywhere for that matter I have removed RAM. I have tried different RAM. i have tried SMC & PRAM/NVRAM reset. I cant find any info on the web about this specific scenario, unless I'm hopeless at searching."

-------

Go Here: If your Mac doesn't Turn On or Start Up - Apple Support

Using External Devices: Try Resetting the SMC and NVRAM, but this time, using an external keyboard. Connect an external monitor and see if you get an output.

Jan 10, 2020 10:25 PM in response to djcoopyd

djcoopyd Said:

"Macbook Pro Black Screen - Chime I tried as suggested to no avail. Nothing on built in screen and nothing on external display"

-------

Some Thoughts:

Do you hear the fan upon boot? Does it power on yet?

Boot into Safe Mode:

Booting into Safe Mode makes installations operate without preferences, opening it. System caches are placed aside. So, see if that works. Hold down the shift key upon boot to boot into Safe Mode. Go Here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support.

Use a New Charger:

Perhaps it is not getting enough charge, if any charge at all. So, use a new charger, and use a new battery. If this were me, I would use Apple brand, and none other, as it would be more trustworthy.

Use an External Speaker:

See if you hear the chime when you turn this on.

Create and then Use a USB Bootable Installer:

1. Create a Bootable installer for macOS --- Create High Sierra
  2. How to Erase a Disk for Mac - Create a volume using Extended(Journalized)

Contact an AASP:

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the iPhone

Macbook Pro Black Screen - Chime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.