Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine problem... it won't recognize my external hard drive

I have a working 2 TB Seagate drive that is partitioned into 2, 1 TB drives. Is there a way to erase and return this hard drive into one 2 TB drive that I can use as a alternative Time Machine backup drive?

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 11, 2020 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2020 9:37 AM

You have to remove one of the partitions in Disk Utility and then format the whole drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) GUID partition. That should work. As you did not indicate how the partitions are currently formatted I am assuming the drive is formatted as mentioned above. Remember when you do format a drive that wipes (erases) all data currently on the drive!!!!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2020 9:37 AM in response to Hoot47

You have to remove one of the partitions in Disk Utility and then format the whole drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) GUID partition. That should work. As you did not indicate how the partitions are currently formatted I am assuming the drive is formatted as mentioned above. Remember when you do format a drive that wipes (erases) all data currently on the drive!!!!

Time Machine problem... it won't recognize my external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.