Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finding serial number when a MacBook Pro was wiped out in preparation for selling?

I wiped out my computer before taking note of its serial number. How do i get to the serial number? I'm not IT savvy and would need step by step instructions. Your help would be most appreciated.

Mac Pro

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 2:38 PM

KarlDoren Said:

"Finding serial number when a MacBook Pro was wiped out in preparation for selling? : I wiped out my computer before taking note of its serial number. How do i get to the serial number? I'm not IT savvy and would need step by step instructions. Your help would be most appreciated."

-------

Always Verify -- Use Terminal, while in Recovery Mode:

Get a Macs Serial Number from the Command Line - OSXDaily

You can always look underneath the computer. But, to verify you are reading it correctly, use Terminal, while booted into Recovery Mode The cover could always be changed too; you never know.

So...

1. Boot into Recovery Mode
  2. Go to: Utilities Menu
  3. Select: Terminal
  4. Type: this Command, then press enter:
ioreg -l | grep IOPlatformSerialNumber

The Retuin Output would be something like:

"IOPlatformSerialNumber" = "1234567890abc"

So your Serial Number, would therefore be: 1234567890abc

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2020 2:38 PM in response to KarlDoren

KarlDoren Said:

"Finding serial number when a MacBook Pro was wiped out in preparation for selling? : I wiped out my computer before taking note of its serial number. How do i get to the serial number? I'm not IT savvy and would need step by step instructions. Your help would be most appreciated."

-------

Always Verify -- Use Terminal, while in Recovery Mode:

Get a Macs Serial Number from the Command Line - OSXDaily

You can always look underneath the computer. But, to verify you are reading it correctly, use Terminal, while booted into Recovery Mode The cover could always be changed too; you never know.

So...

1. Boot into Recovery Mode
  2. Go to: Utilities Menu
  3. Select: Terminal
  4. Type: this Command, then press enter:
ioreg -l | grep IOPlatformSerialNumber

The Retuin Output would be something like:

"IOPlatformSerialNumber" = "1234567890abc"

So your Serial Number, would therefore be: 1234567890abc

Finding serial number when a MacBook Pro was wiped out in preparation for selling?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.