Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook with Catalina installed won't allow a USB cable to be plugged in.

The USB cable is the same one used to plug into a printer. I had been connecting to a commercial coffee roaster via MODBUS RS485 USB interface. While troubleshooting for the past several days, today I noticed that the roaster does not even need to be plugged in or on and the Mac reboots if plugged into the roaster and to the MacBook.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 2:33 PM

22 replies

Jan 16, 2020 11:04 AM in response to jamesfromtimnath

Uninstall the Norton software according to the developer's instructions. Norton and other anti-virus software is not needed on Macs and more often than not compromise system and application performance. Norton is one of the worst offenders.

Also download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

ALSO IMPORTANT:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine the root of the problem.

Jan 12, 2020 3:32 PM in response to Old Toad

No it does not reboot on its own, I changed cables and that didn't help. Today was the first time I noticed that as soon as I plugged it in with either end of the cable without the roaster plugged into an outlet that it still caused the re-boot and error message. Ive sent all of the error reporting to Apple each time it has occurred. I tried using a PC and it was fine?

Jan 13, 2020 6:53 PM in response to Old Toad

First of all Thank You for having interest in helping me try to resolve this issue.

Yes I tried both USB ports and the same result. In the error report there is a lot of reference to Norton Symantec kernel ext.

I uninstalled Norton and did a file removal in the terminal however some files stayed behind. I also noted that there is a NortonForMac.kext file in finder that can't be removed and shows in use?

Jan 16, 2020 10:48 AM in response to Old Toad

If that unremoved Norton Kernel Extension, which is dynamically loaded into the Kernel — is triggered by the USB MODBUS connection event, then it would remain to be seen if the MODBUS connection with the Norton Kext removed, would still force the operating system to reboot. As do you, I too suspect that the MODBUS RS485 is incompatible with Catalina, but the Norton Kext could remain as a contributing actor.

Jan 16, 2020 11:01 AM in response to VikingOSX

It worked originally and I am 99% sure that was under the Catalina OS. The only thing I can think of is that the Norton Software did an update which made it incompatible. I have done a Re-install of Catalina but that didn’t cure the problem. I am close to just starting over with a Re install of the original OS Yosemite with a HD format and see if that gets back working??

My MacBook with Catalina installed won't allow a USB cable to be plugged in.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.