Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting time for Automatic iCloud backups for iPhone

How Can I fix a time for iCloud automatic backups, daily? Choice to backup alternate days?

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 8:26 PM

I do not have a set time when my phone is plugged in ( even though it is on WiFi). Unless the phone has a scheduled cycle for backups, how am I to know when I should plug it into a charger so it backs up? e. g. The last backup was on 1/9, I reset the phone, so a manual backup; today I noticed there has not been any backup for the past 3 days.

how do I make sure it backs up at least once in 24 hours? Thanks for taking time to respond.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2020 8:26 PM in response to FoxFifth

I do not have a set time when my phone is plugged in ( even though it is on WiFi). Unless the phone has a scheduled cycle for backups, how am I to know when I should plug it into a charger so it backs up? e. g. The last backup was on 1/9, I reset the phone, so a manual backup; today I noticed there has not been any backup for the past 3 days.

how do I make sure it backs up at least once in 24 hours? Thanks for taking time to respond.

Jan 13, 2020 7:03 AM in response to RR-r

You don't need to plug it in on any specific schedule and even if you do, it may not backup everyday. With mine it seems like like it may be influenced by the amount of data that has changed.

Also note that much of your data may be synced rather than backed up. The options at Settings > [username] > iCloud such as iCloud Photos, Contacts, Notes, Reminders, iCloud Drive, etc control which data is synced. Syncing happens dynamically as data changes and is not dependent on Backup.

Jan 13, 2020 7:11 AM in response to RR-r

The closest that you can come to scheduling the backups would be to do a manual backup just before you plug the phone into charge. Then, in theory, the phone should backup again approximately 24 hours later. I have done this a number of times and it is relatively reliable, though not 100%.

I used plug my phone in every night when I got home from work because I rarely use it at home since we also have a landline. I think a pretty good rule of thumb would be to plug it into to charge when you go to bed. If you work shifts or don’t have a set routine for bedtime, obviously that will impact my suggestion.

Setting time for Automatic iCloud backups for iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.