Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone x charging port to USB

I have an iPhone X and the charging port is not a lightening but a bit smaller than an USB C. I have not found anywhere that has this connector to a USB 1/2 to be able to connect to the USB port in my new Honda. Please help.

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 4:44 PM

I'm not sure I'm following you. All iPhone X have a lightning to standard USB cable. The lightning cable goes into the charging port on your iPhone and the standard USB end plugs into the 5W charging brick. That cable can be unplugged from the charging brick to be used in your Honda's USB port or you can buy an extra lightning to USB cable from Apple, Best Buy or even Amazon.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2020 4:44 PM in response to 2512mgr

I'm not sure I'm following you. All iPhone X have a lightning to standard USB cable. The lightning cable goes into the charging port on your iPhone and the standard USB end plugs into the 5W charging brick. That cable can be unplugged from the charging brick to be used in your Honda's USB port or you can buy an extra lightning to USB cable from Apple, Best Buy or even Amazon.

Jan 14, 2020 5:16 PM in response to 2512mgr

Thanks to all who have replied. I mus admit to some embarrasment. I realise that I was using the lightening to connect the phone in the previous car, and to charge by the bed every night at home.

In my charging station set up for my iPads I have USB C connectors to charge them. For some unexplained reason, I was thinking that I needed that design of connector. I now have no idea why, as while searching for a suitable connector for the car, I have siill been charging the phone every night in the bedroom using the lightening, and without it registering.

BTW, I am not new to the iPhone as I have a 4, 2 5s, 2 6s and a 7.

Thanks again.

Jan 14, 2020 6:14 PM in response to 2512mgr

Hey, no need to be embarrassed. With USB-A, USB-C, mini-USB, micro-USB and lightening devices (not to mention the devices with proprietary charging ports), I can perfectly understand a moment of confusion. My 8 port USB 3 hub off my Mac Mini has cables for all five of those these days, between Apple devices, various headphones, external SSD drives, etc. Industry standards are nice, but not when there are many standards all over the place.

My particular bane is micro-USB - by far (in my experience) the least reliable and least robust connector ever made.

iPhone x charging port to USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.