Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ssd upgrade

Hi..

did Intel 256gb 760p M.2 PCIe SSD compatible with my MacBook Air?

Thanks.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 3:03 AM

8 replies

Jan 14, 2020 9:34 AM in response to kaz-k

kaz-k wrote:
Hi,
It depends on your MacBook Air model.
Since Mid-2013 MacBook Air models all use a PCIe-based SSD rather than a SATA-connected one like earlier SSD-equipped MacBook Air models. 

I'm pretty sure that the current models integrate the SSD into the logic board rather than use a separate card. Even before then I though they were using a proprietary SSD controller that nobody was able to replicate. It might still be PCIe.

Jan 14, 2020 9:09 PM in response to omer135

I've seen some users post on these forums that you can use a Sintech adapter to allow certain Macs to use a standard M.2 SSD. I have no personal experience with this option. As another contributor mentions, only the 2017 and earlier MBAirs have removable SSDs. If you have a 2018+ MBAir, then the SSD is not upgradable after purchase.

You can also check out OWC for compatible SSDs which do not require any adapters.

If you are able to replace your SSD, then I highly recommend you keep the original Apple SSD in case a macOS upgrade or system firmware upgrade requires the original Apple SSD, plus it makes any Apple repairs much easier.

Keep in mind except for OWC, the manufacturers of other SSDs are unlikely to provide you any support when using a standard M.2 SSD with a MBAir.

Jan 14, 2020 9:57 PM in response to HWTech

HWTech wrote:
Keep in mind except for OWC, the manufacturers of other SSDs are unlikely to provide you any support when using a standard M.2 SSD with a MBAir.

Maybe Transcend. They claim that theirs will work. But it's kind of a mess of different products claiming compatibility with different Macs.

ssd upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.