Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Iphone

i received a message on whatsapp about my lost iphone. how do i know its authentic? below is the number and the message

+1 ****-3465

Dear Customer,

Your Lost iPhone 8 256GB Space Grey has been found near Cnr Samora Machel Harare, Zimbabwe at 7: 25 PM. Your iPhone’s last reported location will be available for 24 hours.

https://****appIe.com/HT6759

Sincerely,

Apple Support

Apple ID | Support | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2020 One Apple Park Way, Cupertino, CA 95014 USA. All rights reserved.

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 1:50 PM

Apple will always address you by your name or the name they have on file for you, not Dear Customer, Dear Client or by using your e-mail address.  The e-mail will be from @apple.com or @iTunes.com. E-mail addresses can be spoofed. You can go to Mail/View/Message/Show all Headers to see more. Apple e-mails will never contain an attachment. Apple will never request personal information by email such as Social Security numbers, your Mother’s maiden name or full credit card numbers .

The only exception to the above I have noticed is if you order something from the Apple Store (apple.com), your receipt will be addressed to Dear Apple Customer. That is a receipt for a purchase you initiated.

Avoid phishing emails, fake ‘virus‘ alerts, phony support calls, and other scams

Identifying legitimate emails from the iTunes Store

Send the e-mail to Apple as an attachment to a new e-mail before deleting it. You can forward as an attachment by going to Mail/Message/Forward as attachment. Or control - click on the email and select Forward as attachment. Make sure you send it as an attachment to a new email. If you just forward it, it will probably be rejected. You won’t receive a response.

reportphishing@apple.com

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2020 1:50 PM in response to nomore177

Apple will always address you by your name or the name they have on file for you, not Dear Customer, Dear Client or by using your e-mail address.  The e-mail will be from @apple.com or @iTunes.com. E-mail addresses can be spoofed. You can go to Mail/View/Message/Show all Headers to see more. Apple e-mails will never contain an attachment. Apple will never request personal information by email such as Social Security numbers, your Mother’s maiden name or full credit card numbers .

The only exception to the above I have noticed is if you order something from the Apple Store (apple.com), your receipt will be addressed to Dear Apple Customer. That is a receipt for a purchase you initiated.

Avoid phishing emails, fake ‘virus‘ alerts, phony support calls, and other scams

Identifying legitimate emails from the iTunes Store

Send the e-mail to Apple as an attachment to a new e-mail before deleting it. You can forward as an attachment by going to Mail/Message/Forward as attachment. Or control - click on the email and select Forward as attachment. Make sure you send it as an attachment to a new email. If you just forward it, it will probably be rejected. You won’t receive a response.

reportphishing@apple.com

Lost Iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.