Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Preview -- Excel Formatting Issue

I'm noticing that Microsoft Excel files generated with SSRS are not displaying currency values correctly.

If commas are enabled, it is inserting a comma between every digit.

So $33,333.33 is displaying as $3,3,3,3,3.33.

Happening on multiple devices/users.

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 11:08 AM

8 replies

Feb 24, 2020 7:43 AM in response to Community User

EvanReportGuy wrote:

No offense, but that's the typical Apple support response and is completely unhelpful.

Report your issue to Apple so using feedback at www.apple.com/feedback.

I also don't understand how my response is not helpful? You prefer wait and complain to other users and about community in overall, rather than use the app that would allow you to properly access Excel document?

FYI. I don't feel offended. I hope you feel the same…

Feb 24, 2020 7:17 AM in response to Community User

Mail app has never been intended to replace app that actually operate on such documents. The solution is to open Excel document in app that actually support such document, like MS Excel or Numbers.

Install MS Excel or Numbers app on your iPhone. Then go to email message, long tap on attached file to the email and from share menu that would appear look for either MS Excel or Numbers app (depending on which you have installed) to open the document in that app.

The above behaviour is similar to what you do on a PC or Mac to open such file; you go to email, you double click to open in App that actual support such file.

Feb 24, 2020 7:33 AM in response to iW00

No offense, but that's the typical Apple support response and is completely unhelpful.

The fact is that it worked up until a couple updates ago, and there's no reason Apple can't spend a few minutes tracking down the bug and fixing it.

What kind of standard is that holding them to if they break something and refuse to fix it? Remove Excel from the Mail app altogether if you're not going to care enough to even test it before issuing updates.

Feb 24, 2020 7:38 AM in response to iW00

Cool. Mind telling that to my CEO, CIO, CMO & COO? They want to tap an attachment one time and have it "just work" (to borrow a phrase).

Or, you could just eliminate the built-in previewer for Excel altogether, and have XLS/XLSX documents open in the native viewer upon first tap like, say, Android.

Not asking for new functionality here. Just a fix for a new bug in iOS 13.

Mail Preview -- Excel Formatting Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.