Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Settings that allow opening files in the same desktop where's finder

Hey all,

I work on mac with an external monitor most of the time and there is one big annoying thing that really irritates me.

Let me explain it, its pretty simple: I have several desktops on my mac and several desktops on my external monitor, when I place Finder in external desktop and try to open files, they always open on my mac's desktop, so every time I have to move the file in Preview to the external desktop like moron and it really slows my work.

Is there a fix/workaround that allows opening files in the same desktop where's Finder even when the Finder is on external monitor's desktop?

Thanks for the ideas

MacBook

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 8:09 PM

You can set an App to be on a particular desktop, or None. If it is set to None, a file should open in the Desktop where it was opened.

There is a setting in Mission control that will switch Desktops if the App has an open window in that desktop. But, that shouldn't affect opening a Document, only switching to the App.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2020 8:09 PM in response to Ellendereth

You can set an App to be on a particular desktop, or None. If it is set to None, a file should open in the Desktop where it was opened.

There is a setting in Mission control that will switch Desktops if the App has an open window in that desktop. But, that shouldn't affect opening a Document, only switching to the App.

Settings that allow opening files in the same desktop where's finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.