Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal mic still on when using headset

I have recently started having this problem on my iPhone11pro

When I am on a call using a headset (standard Apple lightning headset) and my phone is in my pocket, people I am calling say they hear lots of noise. If I take the phone out of my pocket, the noise go away (so they tell me).

It is as if the iPhone's internal mic is still on even when I'm using the headset (and the headset mic is working too).

Is there a setting somewhere that I might have chanced accidentally to cause this ?

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 4:54 PM

3 replies

Jan 17, 2020 12:32 PM in response to dgwright99

Hello dgwright99,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I understand that there are noises during calls while the iPhone is in your pocket. I'll do what I can to help.

Here are some suggestions:

Thanks and have a great day.

Jan 23, 2020 3:01 PM in response to sterling r

As I stated, the headset is working - both mic and speakers. The issue is that on top of the input from the headset mic, there appears to be input from at least one of the mics on the phone.

This is not a one-off; I have occasionally experienced a similar fact pattern when talking to others over the years; they are using a headset with their phone in their pocket, lots of scratchy type noise, which goes away when they hold the phone in their hands.

Jan 23, 2020 3:20 PM in response to dgwright99

dgwright99,

Then you'll want to focus on troubleshooting the software first:

1. Back up your iPhone: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
    2. Restore the iPhone to factory settings using a computer: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support
    3. Set up the iPhone as new to test if the behavior still happens.

If it does happen when set up as new, reach out to the Apple Support team: Contact Apple Support

If it doesn't, try restoring your backup to see if it happens again: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Take care.

Internal mic still on when using headset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.