Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13.3 on iPhone 7 changing region by itself

This is a follow up post on a problem that showed up for the first time on iOS 13.2.3 and is continuing throughout iOS 13.3 on (it seems) only iPhones 7. (This is the previous post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250908177?answerId=251778999022&page=2)

Issue: iPhone changing country by itself autonomously from one's own regional settings to USA

When: Typically when the phones are connected to CarPlay

Peculiarities: all users use English language in their settings but are not in USA; their region is automatically and without notice changed to USA (in my case from Italy to USA, other users from Netherlands, Germany, Canada, Denmark) and the News app is also automatically installed in the same process. All happens instantly and requires time to be reset to original conditions.

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 11:57 PM

21 replies

Jan 15, 2020 12:17 AM in response to SravanKrA

Uhm...yes, well aware of the fact that smartphones aren't thinking beings, thank you.

What I and quite some others (as you can see on the link) are observing is that our phones are changing their region settings without us doing it manually. This has no correlation with sync with other devices but seems connected to plugging in our phones to our cars with CarPlay active.

Apr 29, 2020 11:27 PM in response to al_fa

iPhone 7 running iOS 13.4.1 and it’s still an issue.

Does not happen every time I connect to CarPlay. Never realized it was related to that.

Reverting to my normal settings is rather quick, region and keyboard being the only settings I need to change, but still something that should be fixed.

Guess apple doesn’t really care to fix a problem that only shows sporadically on old phones when they’re connected to CarPlay. 🤷🏻‍♂️

May 11, 2020 5:14 AM in response to Tuliza

Mine is doing that as well. Mine is setting from Australia to USA. Plus it also changes my tone format as well from 24hr to 12hr! It’s very frustrating as we have to use CarPlay one Australia as they have mobile phone detection cameras and cop a very hefty fine.

I hope this gets fixed as this also screws up the Apple Watch too.

May 25, 2020 4:08 PM in response to al_fa

Same here. Latest firmware installed, but constantly removing my keyboards and setting weather app to Fahrenheit. Having to constantly adding back keyboards annoys my the most, because I use 3 additional keyboards.

When reading through several blocks I noticed that everyone that had the same issue had an older phone. Does someone with an iPhone X or older experience similar behavior?

Jul 8, 2020 9:17 PM in response to Tsbap

This still occurs on my iPhone 7 on IOS 13.5.1. When I connect my phone to Apple Car Play with the USB cable, my phone overheats, all the apps freezes, it changes the Language & Region, Date & Time and Keyboard settings all by itself. It has been 4 months since I have this issue for the first time. I live in Australia.

Will it be ever resolved or is this Apple's way to force us to buy the new iPhone even when we don't actually need one?

Jul 14, 2020 3:00 PM in response to al_fa

I just had it today. Belgium regional settings jumping to USA settings, after using Carplay. Even the CarPlay crashed a few times om my trip back. I am new user with CarPlay, and not a happy one. I see people complaining about this, on other threads, over a year ago. Way to go. Even I am waiting on a resolution to other issues, for almost a year. All I hear the support say ‘wait for next update, wait for next update,...’ Apple is definitely going of track. If you ask premium prices, people expect at least normal working equipment...

Jul 18, 2020 3:06 AM in response to al_fa

Same thing has been happening to me. iPhone 7, iOS 13.5.1., Belgium as a region.

Does not necessarily happen when using carplay. In my case it seems related to some apps (Flipboard in particular) sometimes freezing after start (Starts showing some content but then seems to gets stuck on loading new content). If I stay on the app waiting for it to unfreeze the phone seems to detect the freeze and does some kind of quick restart.

In other cases I don't see it happening but realise when my homescreen icons get out of order because the News app appears (not present with my normal region).

iOS 13.3 on iPhone 7 changing region by itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.