Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac White Screen, Can't Start In Safe Mode (Black Screen)

I'm doing some searching online trying to see if I can fix my iMac, which out of the blue stopped working. When I try to start it up, it shows the Apple logo and then goes to a white screen.

The iMac is actually a 2011 model, but I couldn't find that option in the dropdown menu for the forum.

I've been following some troubleshooting steps online to try to fix the problem, but most start with starting the iMac up in SAFE MODE. When I try to do this, I get the Progress Bar under the apple logo for some time and then the screen goes completely black.

Any suggestions??

Thank you!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 10:11 AM

Likely a hardware failure. You can attempt to restart in the Recovery Partition by holding down Command + R on startup. Next, open Disk Utilities and run First Aid several times on the internal drive. If any errors appear, then you have narrowed it down to a failed or failing internal drive that must be replaced.

However, as you don't (nor do we) have the necessary tools to really troubleshoot where the problem lies I I would recommend that the computer be taken to your local Apple Authorized Service Provider who does have the necessary tools (and skills) to troubleshoot the problem. At least then you can determine what you want to do. Considering the age of the computer (I also have a 2011) I'd put any efforts into replacing the computer. I intend to do just that in a few short months.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2020 10:11 AM in response to KBB-11

Likely a hardware failure. You can attempt to restart in the Recovery Partition by holding down Command + R on startup. Next, open Disk Utilities and run First Aid several times on the internal drive. If any errors appear, then you have narrowed it down to a failed or failing internal drive that must be replaced.

However, as you don't (nor do we) have the necessary tools to really troubleshoot where the problem lies I I would recommend that the computer be taken to your local Apple Authorized Service Provider who does have the necessary tools (and skills) to troubleshoot the problem. At least then you can determine what you want to do. Considering the age of the computer (I also have a 2011) I'd put any efforts into replacing the computer. I intend to do just that in a few short months.

Jan 15, 2020 10:17 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for your quick response! I've restarted and pressed Command + R but still end up at the white screen after the apple logo.

I was able to successfully boot in Verbose mode, so the keyboard commands seem to be working, but unfortunately nothing seems to happen when I press Command + R. Any other suggestions? Thanks again!

Jan 15, 2020 10:23 AM in response to KBB-11

I have been able to boot in Verbose mode (Command + V) and let all of the text do its scrolling, but once it was finished it just went back to the white screen and when I restarted it was still back to the white screen.

I've also reset NVRAM (Command + Option + P + R) but once again, on the second reboot, it shows the apple symbol and a spinning wheel, and then goes to a white screen.

I have been unable to restart in Recovery mode (Command + R) -- when I try this, I just get the same apple logo/spinning wheel followed by the white screen.

iMac White Screen, Can't Start In Safe Mode (Black Screen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.