You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie sluggishness with new Macbook Pro

I just bought a brand new 16 inch MacBook Pro with 1TB of SSD storage and am experiencing sluggishness in iMovie when using HDV formatted videos. When I use the same size files from my iPhone, I have no problem. Any ideas?

MacBook

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 3:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 3:36 PM

If you are running the i5 processor, that is slower than the i7, you might get some sluggishness when editing hi def movies.

Also, if there are other CPU intensive processes running, that might cause some sluggishness.

You might booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. See if that improves your iMovie performance.

-- Rich

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 15, 2020 3:36 PM in response to jmgran

If you are running the i5 processor, that is slower than the i7, you might get some sluggishness when editing hi def movies.

Also, if there are other CPU intensive processes running, that might cause some sluggishness.

You might booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. See if that improves your iMovie performance.

-- Rich

Jan 15, 2020 4:56 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks. It's a new 16 inch MB Pro with an i9, 16 GB RAM, and 1 TB SSD, so everything should be running smoothly. Since I posted my question about an hour ago, I tested my MB with 3 minutes of 4K video (about 1.2 GB), and it's totally smooth. It has to be something about the video I imported from my mini DV tapes. No idea what it could be. I have a call with Apple support later tonight. Wish me luck!

iMovie sluggishness with new Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.