Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't find a USB port on my new Mac to connect my apple mouse

just got Mac yesterday, don't see a usb port

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 8:42 PM

shemcray2 Said:

I can't find a USB port on my new Mac to connect my apple mouse: just got Mac yesterday, don't see a usb port

———-

Mobility:

Laptops are getting slimmer, so, the poets are as well. That is why USB A ports are non existent on it.

So...

Use this Adapter: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple

With this Adapter: You can connect Printer using the USB-A port and use the HDMI port for an A/V device.

With the USB-C adapter in it, you will still charge your Mac using the USB-C port. So, you lose no ports: a USB-C type is still there, and two more are added: USB-C and HDMI.

I use it and it works excellently and as intended.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2020 8:42 PM in response to shemcray2

shemcray2 Said:

I can't find a USB port on my new Mac to connect my apple mouse: just got Mac yesterday, don't see a usb port

———-

Mobility:

Laptops are getting slimmer, so, the poets are as well. That is why USB A ports are non existent on it.

So...

Use this Adapter: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple

With this Adapter: You can connect Printer using the USB-A port and use the HDMI port for an A/V device.

With the USB-C adapter in it, you will still charge your Mac using the USB-C port. So, you lose no ports: a USB-C type is still there, and two more are added: USB-C and HDMI.

I use it and it works excellently and as intended.

Jan 16, 2020 7:50 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

The new MacBook Pro only has lightning ports no USB-Apparently the genius did not know that when I purchased it and the store is 30 miles away and now we have a blizzard and I spent two hours on the phone with Apple – I’ve never been so upset with Apple I am all Apple all the time and what do you know they transferred me to the manager of the store – except he wasn’t available

Jan 16, 2020 8:19 PM in response to shemcray2

The MacBook Pro 16” 2019 has USB-C ports, which can be used with both USB connections for various devices, as well as with Thunderbolt (PCIe) connections.

The USB-C port requires a dock or a dongle to get to USB-A ports, or other sorts of I/O connections. Apple decided we’ll all be using USB-C for everything, so that's the way hese are built. Which means docks, dongles, or replacing existing devices with USB-C devices.

If you have one of the Apple mice with the Lightning charging connection, Apple has available a USB-C to Lightning cable.

USB-C is effectively a connector spec, and different protocols can operate vis the connector, depending (confusingly) on what the host port hardware and the chosen cable can provide. Not all USB-C host ports on all computers will support Thunderbolt, for instance.

There are also USB-C cables that can provide power, but not communications. The label-maker came out of the drawer about ten minutes after learning this, and labeled those charge-only cables.

Jan 16, 2020 9:19 PM in response to shemcray2

shemcray2 wrote:
The new MacBook Pro only has lightning ports no USB-Apparently the genius did not know that when I purchased it and the store is 30 miles away and now we have a blizzard and I spent two hours on the phone with Apple – I’ve never been so upset with Apple I am all Apple all the time and what do you know they transferred me to the manager of the store – except he wasn’t available

That's not Lightning. That's Thunderbolt 3/USB-C. It's a little bit complicated, but you can get a hub, a dock, or perhaps just a single adapter. I think you'll find that if you insert a Lightning connector in there it's going to shake around a little bit.

There are lots of options, but the most basic would be a simple USB-C (male) to USB-A (female) adapter. When my wife got her 2019 MBA she asked me what to do and I ended up buying one of those adapters (came as a set with a 6 ft Lightning cable) on short notice because she absolutely had to use a wireless mouse right away.

I have a variety of these from Just Wireless, Aukey, and Daiso. This is the Daiso version, although one can buy single ones ($1.50 in the US) at their stores. I have one and it works pretty well and is cheaper than any other adapter I've seen.

https://www.daisojapan.com/p-40640-usb-to-type-c-adapter-3-assort-04-x-1-in-10pks.aspx

I can't find a USB port on my new Mac to connect my apple mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.