Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to reformat a hard drive and install a new OS without deactivating the firmware password?

I bought a used computer that has the firmware password set, only I didn't know it and did not set it. The business I bought it from says that it must have been set after they sold it to me because they could not have refurbished the hard drive and installed the new OS on it with that firmware password activated. Would that be true? I didn't activate this lock and now I have an useable computer because I can't get it unlocked. I think they sold me a computer without deactivating the lock. Which of us is correct?

Mac mini, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 8:07 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jan 16, 2020 8:24 PM in response to Dan Bryant1

No, that isn't true provided the facts you've stated are all true. Return the machine and get your money back.

Assuming they are being honest, how do you know that there is a Firmware Password set?

Forgotten Firmware Password

If you lost or forgot your firmware password - Apple Support.

If you forgot your firmware password, schedule an appointment with an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. If you plan to visit an Apple Retail Store then make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If needed find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple.

Jan 17, 2020 8:32 AM in response to Kappy

When I turned on the machine, it first ask for a system pin to unlock it. After several tries, it now says something about a wrong code and to try again in 60 minutes. But after 60 minutes, it doesn't give me any way to enter a code. So booted it in recovery mode and now I have an all black screen with a white padlock. Below that is a box to enter a code. I never knowingly set the firmware password so the only thing I can guess is that it was already on the machine when I bought it or I was hacked and someone set it remotely.

Jan 17, 2020 8:55 AM in response to Kappy

I discovered another explanation. I tried locking a different computer remotely using FindMy. When I then entered the wrong pin 5 times, it gave me a message that my computer was disabled and to try again in 1 minute. I entered the wrong code again and this time it said try again in 5 minutes. So then I tried rebooting in recovery mode and I got the same black screen with the white padlock. I then entered the correct code and all was fine. So that tells me that someone could have locked my computer remotely and thus it may not be the firmware password. Still, I cannot unlock it without the code and Apple won't recognize my proof of purchase. So I'll see if I can get the business where I bought it to argue the case with Apple.

Jan 17, 2020 1:45 PM in response to Dan Bryant1

If it is really asking for an unlock code, this means someone with an Apple ID/iCloud associated with the computer locked it remotely. Did you ever associated the computer with your own Apple ID? I doubt it. It is most likely the previous owner...

The only way the "Business" could had done anything is: The computer was locked after or it was not connected to the Internet during the process.

As you realized, Apple will be reluctant to offer a solution in that situation.

Good luck,

WD

Jan 17, 2020 5:20 PM in response to Wilddrums

Yes, I had the computer associated with my Apple ID. At first I could not see it in FindMy, but then I moved it to a place where I could connect it to our ethernet. Then after several reboots, I noticed for the first time that it appeared as one of my devices, however FindMy says it is offline. When I have the screen that says "Wrong passcode. Try again.", I can change the wifi network so I made sure it is on the right one. Still can't see it in FindMy. So it feels like for some reason at some point when it was on, it connected with FindMy. If I can get that connection re-established, I should be able to get the unlock PIN.

Is it possible to reformat a hard drive and install a new OS without deactivating the firmware password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.