Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover accidentally deleted playlists using Time Machine on my Mac?

Guys, I deleted my playlists by accident. As I have Time Machine I imagine I can restore the backup from a previous day and return with them, right?

I just can't find where the Music app saves playlists on my Mac. I tried to restore the "Music Library" in the "Music" folder but it was no use.

I didn't find anything about it on the internet. All references are about the old iTunes.

Can anyone tell me which is and where is the file that the new "Music" uses to store playlists information?

Regarding "Music", all my stuff is local, I mean I'm not a subscriber nor do I have iTunes Match.

Thank you guys!

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 1:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 9:10 AM

Thanks for your answer!

In fact, restoring the "Music Library" was enough to solve my issue, but you cannot just copy over the "Music Library" file into the "Music folder". Doing like this, for some "apple" reason (LOL), when you open "Music app", it will remains showing the last version of your library, like you haven't restored the backup. Even though you delete the the "Music library file" when you open the "Music app", it will recreate (coming from God) the last version of your library.

Well, I had to save the backup copy of my library in other place and ask "Music app" to change library (by holding the option key on open). All my playlists where there. Then I exported them, closed "Music app", reopen it again changing back to current library and reimported the playlists that I have deleted. This is it.

Thanks again to care about my issue.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2020 9:10 AM in response to dwb

Thanks for your answer!

In fact, restoring the "Music Library" was enough to solve my issue, but you cannot just copy over the "Music Library" file into the "Music folder". Doing like this, for some "apple" reason (LOL), when you open "Music app", it will remains showing the last version of your library, like you haven't restored the backup. Even though you delete the the "Music library file" when you open the "Music app", it will recreate (coming from God) the last version of your library.

Well, I had to save the backup copy of my library in other place and ask "Music app" to change library (by holding the option key on open). All my playlists where there. Then I exported them, closed "Music app", reopen it again changing back to current library and reimported the playlists that I have deleted. This is it.

Thanks again to care about my issue.

How to recover accidentally deleted playlists using Time Machine on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.