Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

have to keep downloading the same files again and again from iCloud to mac

If this question has been answered previously, please let me know, but I couldn't find anything. I recently got iCloud Drive, and I want to save my files on my MacBook Air so they are always available even without an internet connection. I click on the cloud icon to download my files, and they will be fine for a few hours or even a day. Then, the cloud icon appears again, and I have to download again or else I can't access my files without internet. So I download again. Even when I don't make any changes or add anything new, the cloud icon continues to appear every few hours. I so keep downloading the same files over and over, because without internet I can't access them despite being previously downloaded multiple times. This happens with large folders contains several GBs of data as well as small files only a few MBs. My OS is up to date. Is there a way I don't have to continually re-download all the time, or is this just how iCloud works? If that's the case, I'll cancel my subscription.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 3:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 7:11 PM

Check System Preferences/iCloud/iCloud Drive/Options (Apple ID/iCloud Drive/Options for Catalina) to see if Optimization is checked. If that is checked, some files may be removed from the computer and stored only in iCloud.

Similar questions

2 replies

have to keep downloading the same files again and again from iCloud to mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.