Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to pay to keep windows on my mac?

Do I have to pay to keep running windows on my mac? I was able to install window 10 iso without a serial/product key. However, it now says to go to setting to activate your window and when I did it asks for a product key. Anyone suggestion is appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 1:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 8:19 AM

I can't find the free version. I have a lot of computers I would like to install free Windows onto.

Windows 10 Home

Windows 10 Pro

Microsoft's Requirements for using Windows 10 state:

"Additional system requirements

You must accept the enclosed License Terms, also at microsoft.com/useterms

Activation required • Single license • 32 & 64-bits on USB 3.0 media included"

I don't want to hack Windows activation or by-pass the licensing.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2020 8:19 AM in response to dialabrain

I can't find the free version. I have a lot of computers I would like to install free Windows onto.

Windows 10 Home

Windows 10 Pro

Microsoft's Requirements for using Windows 10 state:

"Additional system requirements

You must accept the enclosed License Terms, also at microsoft.com/useterms

Activation required • Single license • 32 & 64-bits on USB 3.0 media included"

I don't want to hack Windows activation or by-pass the licensing.

Jan 18, 2020 8:04 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

As explained above and in the article I posted, you can run Windows 10 with minor limitations, such as not being able to change the Desktop wallpaper {although there's a workaround), for free. And as I also mentioned,…

"If I remember correctly you can run a limited version of WIndows 10 for free. If you want a fully functioning Windows 10 you have to purchase it."

Jan 18, 2020 8:29 AM in response to dialabrain

dialabrain wrote:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

I'm sorry, I still don't get it. The link you provided clearly says:

"Create Windows 10 installation media

To get started, you will first need to have a license to install Windows 10. You can then download and run the media creation tool. For more information on how to use the tool, see the instructions below."

How do I get the free license? What am I missing? I've installed a lot of Windows operating systems and I have never seen a free version. Windows appears to be free when you buy a new Windows PC but the price of Windows is built into the price of the computer. I've obtained many free Windows upgrades. I can not recall ever getting a new installation of Windows free.

I'll keep looking. Maybe I'm missing something obvious. Hopefully we are not talking about hacking the system or agreement/licensing to use a free version.

Thanks for the link.

Do I have to pay to keep windows on my mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.