Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to know if pictures are backed up to iCloud?

How do you know if pictures are backed up to iCloud? Then when confirmed do you delete your photos on your iPhone?

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 4:53 AM

You don’t know if your photos are backed up in iCloud until you restore the iCloud backup. I have restored iCloud backups several times and I have never lost a photo.

However, I think that you are confusing photos backed up in iCloud with using iCloud Photos. If you use iCloud photos, all of the photos that are on your phone should be in iCloud and all photos in iCloud should be on your phone. iCloud photos is a syncing service, not off device storage, therefore if you delete a photo on any device that is using iCloud Photos, you delete it EVERYWHERE. So if you delete photos on your phone, you delete them in iCloud as well.

If you are using iCloud photos, I urge you to backup your photos to a computer so that you don’t accidentally do something that you didn’t want to do.

This explains how to archive your photos.

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2020 4:53 AM in response to Starkey78

You don’t know if your photos are backed up in iCloud until you restore the iCloud backup. I have restored iCloud backups several times and I have never lost a photo.

However, I think that you are confusing photos backed up in iCloud with using iCloud Photos. If you use iCloud photos, all of the photos that are on your phone should be in iCloud and all photos in iCloud should be on your phone. iCloud photos is a syncing service, not off device storage, therefore if you delete a photo on any device that is using iCloud Photos, you delete it EVERYWHERE. So if you delete photos on your phone, you delete them in iCloud as well.

If you are using iCloud photos, I urge you to backup your photos to a computer so that you don’t accidentally do something that you didn’t want to do.

This explains how to archive your photos.

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

How to know if pictures are backed up to iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.