Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i import footage from a Cannon GL2 into iMovie

can i import footage from a cannon gl2 into iMovie?

Mac Pro

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 3:27 AM

As indicated by Rich839, the article iMovie for macOS supported cameras - Apple Support does not specifically mention the Canon GL2. However, under "Tape" (Note 2) it says that "iMovie works with most mini DV tape-based camcorders using DV and HDV formats. Use FireWire port for tape-based devices."

Experiments/tests may be required in order to find out whether a certain iMovie program version would work or not with a certain camcorder.

According to specifications and the instruction manual at https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/camcorders/support-professional-camcorders/gl2, the GL2 has a 4-pin DV (IEEE 1394 = FireWire) connector. So, it should at least be possible to connect the camcorder directly to an earlier Mac with a FireWire port.

If no FireWire port is available (more modern Macs), it may be necessary to carry out experiments with appropriate Thunderbolt to FireWire adapters (attempting to combine several adapters is probably not the best of ideas, though).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2020 3:27 AM in response to Billconk

As indicated by Rich839, the article iMovie for macOS supported cameras - Apple Support does not specifically mention the Canon GL2. However, under "Tape" (Note 2) it says that "iMovie works with most mini DV tape-based camcorders using DV and HDV formats. Use FireWire port for tape-based devices."

Experiments/tests may be required in order to find out whether a certain iMovie program version would work or not with a certain camcorder.

According to specifications and the instruction manual at https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/camcorders/support-professional-camcorders/gl2, the GL2 has a 4-pin DV (IEEE 1394 = FireWire) connector. So, it should at least be possible to connect the camcorder directly to an earlier Mac with a FireWire port.

If no FireWire port is available (more modern Macs), it may be necessary to carry out experiments with appropriate Thunderbolt to FireWire adapters (attempting to combine several adapters is probably not the best of ideas, though).

Jan 18, 2020 10:08 AM in response to Billconk

Hi, Billconk,

I don't see the Canon GL2 listed in Apple's list of supported cameras and camcorders. Here's the website where you can check for yourself in case I missed it.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204202#canon

Although it gives me pause, and I can't be definitive, an unlisted camera doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work with iMovie. You may not be able to import directly into iMovie but you might be able to export the clips to your desktop and drag them into iMovie from there, assuming that your Mac can recognize the camera. (See below.) Check your owner's manual to see what video formats that your Canon GL2 uses. iMovie supports .mov, Mp4, M4v, AVCHD, and some other formats. If your Canon has a format that iMovie doesn't support then possibly you can use a video converter like the free download, Handbrake, to convert the clips to H.264, Mp4/AAC that iMovie likes.

You can import your Canon's clips to your desktop by using the Image Capture app on your Mac. Or, you can plug in your Canon to your Mac and download to the Photos app, and then you can access the clips from within iMovie by clicking on the Photo item in the iMovie media sidebar.

You might consider consulting the Canon website support feature, if it has one, or a Canon forum, to see if you can get more definitive info on the GL2's compatibility with iMovie 10 and your Mac operating system.

-- Rich

can i import footage from a Cannon GL2 into iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.