Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail not working after installing new modem

I installed a new modem and activated it with my ISP on Sunday. Everything seemed to fine until Tuesday, when my email suddenly decided to not allow me to log in any longer. I tried rebooting everything, rechecked my logins (although I never changed anything), confirmed that I DO have an ethernet internet connection, and I can log in to all 5 email addresses I have in my Apple Mail app on a browser and/or other devices like my iPhone and iPad. Just not through Apple Mail at all. Tried shutting off ethernet and using WiFi only (not sure it makes a difference) and no joy. Can anyone suggest anything I can try, please? This is totally maddening.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 9:08 AM

You have to be very careful if you use Static IPs, normally you want to use Ising DHCP, which is where the Touter or Modem Hands out IPs.

What Ports & Authentication are you using on SMTP?

Outgoing ports are...

SMTP and SMTP-SSL is on ports 25, 587 and 465. Port 587 has to be SSL, and port 465 is enforced TLS-wrapped and is generally used by Outlook users.

Have you changed your eMail password lately?

Works sometimes even if you haven’t

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

You may have duplicate or more entries in Keychain Access.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but likely old passwords interfering.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2020 9:08 AM in response to Tattoued

You have to be very careful if you use Static IPs, normally you want to use Ising DHCP, which is where the Touter or Modem Hands out IPs.

What Ports & Authentication are you using on SMTP?

Outgoing ports are...

SMTP and SMTP-SSL is on ports 25, 587 and 465. Port 587 has to be SSL, and port 465 is enforced TLS-wrapped and is generally used by Outlook users.

Have you changed your eMail password lately?

Works sometimes even if you haven’t

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

You may have duplicate or more entries in Keychain Access.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but likely old passwords interfering.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

Jan 18, 2020 5:59 PM in response to Tattoued

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

Jan 22, 2020 6:07 PM in response to Tattoued

Thanks yes.

You have Adware, did you click on the remove link?

Configuration profiles present - This machine has configuration profiles. These are sometimes used by adware and malware.

To remove a configuration profile in macOS:

1. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences....
  2. From the View menu in System Preferences, select Profiles.
  3. Note:
  4. Profiles won't be visible until you have at least one profile installed.
  5. Select the profile you want to remove, and then press the - (minus) button. Click Remove to remove the profile.

Delete these files& Restart...

Adware:
  Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.appbox.AppBox.plist
    Executable: ~/Library/Application Support/AppPolicy/AppBox -i -c 748931 -isn 467D32D4-BC9B-434E-808A-721AD3904800
    Reason: Adware pattern match
  Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.unionsoftwareonline.AppMonitor.plist
    Executable: ~/Library/Application Support/AppCommon/AppMonitor --protect
    Reason: Adware name match
  Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.GlobalConsoleSearch.plist
    Executable: ~/Library/Application Support/com.GlobalConsoleSearch/GlobalConsoleSearch r
  Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.GlobalConsoleSearchDaemon.plist
    Executable: /Library/Application Support/com.GlobalConsoleSearchDaemon/GlobalConsoleSearch r

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.pcv.hlprmcp.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.ARM.***.plist

~ tilde indicates hidden Home Library.

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1 From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.

2 In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Method 2:

1 Go to the Finder (or desktop).

2 Hold the Option key on your keyboard, and click the Go menu at the top of the screen.

3 With the Go menu open, you'll notice that pressing and releasing Option will display or hide the Library choice in this menu.

4 Select Library from the Go menu (while holding down Option) to access the hidden folder.

Feb 1, 2020 7:31 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi! Me again... the SOCKS keeps turning itself on from time to time. What the heck keeps happening? I deleted all the adware files etc. through Etre and it still keeps happening. Here are my settings on the proxies tab. I just deselected the SOCKS but are those other entries supposed to be there? Should it also be on passive? What if I click proxy server requires password and then don't put anything in it? Would that help to stop the SOCKS from working even if it's checked? I don't know much about the proxy server settings, obviously.

Jan 19, 2020 9:11 AM in response to BDAqua

No, haven't changed any passwords at all in any emails. I just went back and re-entered my passwords for the outgoing servers in the edit list, and they popped back in one by one, so they ARE working now. Thank you so much! You saved me from a straight jacket! Should I de-activate the original ethernet location or just leave it active, but keep the new one I set up at the top of the list?

Jan 21, 2020 3:00 PM in response to BDAqua

Ok. I came home from work today, and my email is not working AGAIN. Same problem. What now? :(

UPDATE: For some reason, I checked my proxies tab in that new network location, and SOCKS was checked! I had it UNchecked. Why is it changing??? I UNchecked it and now it works again. Is there a way I can lock that so it doesn't keep going back to SOCKS?

Jan 21, 2020 4:56 PM in response to Tattoued

Are you running any VPN or anti-Virus software?

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report...

https://pastebin.com/

Or use the paperclip at the bottom of a Reply to attach the full report here. :)

Feb 1, 2020 12:25 PM in response to BDAqua

I created a new location after you recommended that - that's the one I attached a screen shot of. I can run Etrecheck again, sure, but I just don't get why it keeps changing, though. Any ideas? Should the "Bypass proxy settings, etc." box have anything in it? Should "Use passive FTP mode" be checked? What about the SOCKS proxy server info in that box where it says "localhost" and then 8080?

Apple Mail not working after installing new modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.