Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie share/export format

What is the deal with iMovie and Catalina? They have removed share with iTunes option!!!! Also only available format to share/export is a .mov file? I have found after I share it to file, it's a .mov and can't load it to Apple TV and share in iPad or iPhone and get not compatible video.

Running iMac 2017, macOS Catalina 15.2, iMovie 10.1.14

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 8:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 11:16 AM

Hi,

I have not upgraded to Catalina, so cannot comment specifically on your subject. I am running iMovie 10.1.12 on Mojave.

Historically, and on my system, all export options in iMovie will export to Mp4/AAC except Best Quality (pro res) that exports to a .mov file. Because pro res has a much higher bitrate, the pro res .mov file will be about 4x larger than the Mp4 file. So, if you haven't already done so, you might try sharing out at the High quality setting rather than Best Quality (if that's the option you have been using). That should give you an Mp4 file, unless Apple has made some changes of which I am unaware.

Perhaps others on this forum who are using Catalina with current iMovie might have some additional input.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2020 11:16 AM in response to goshawk_29

Hi,

I have not upgraded to Catalina, so cannot comment specifically on your subject. I am running iMovie 10.1.12 on Mojave.

Historically, and on my system, all export options in iMovie will export to Mp4/AAC except Best Quality (pro res) that exports to a .mov file. Because pro res has a much higher bitrate, the pro res .mov file will be about 4x larger than the Mp4 file. So, if you haven't already done so, you might try sharing out at the High quality setting rather than Best Quality (if that's the option you have been using). That should give you an Mp4 file, unless Apple has made some changes of which I am unaware.

Perhaps others on this forum who are using Catalina with current iMovie might have some additional input.

-- Rich

Jan 20, 2020 8:59 AM in response to goshawk_29

Great. Glad I was able to help. :)

Thanks for confirming that the info on file formats still applies to the new version. Did Apple change or remove any iMovie export options with newest version on Catalina? If so, and if you have time, would you post what they are? As I said, I haven't upgraded yet and if I do I would like to know what changes I will see.

-- Rich

iMovie share/export format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.