Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina - Data Folder

Hi,

I know that Catalina has now created two partitions, one called Macintosh HD with system files that's read only and one called Macintosh HD - Data, with all a user's data and files.

In previous macOS versions, I used to have my main Documents folder at the Root of my mac (Macintosh HD/Documents) sitting beside the Applications, Library and System folders.

As this is no longer possible, I was wandering if anyone had any information as to which parts of the Mac I can safely create my master Documents folder to.

Is it ok if I do it in the Macintosh HD/Users/ folder sitting at the same level as my username folder (not within it)? When I tried creating it there, it asked me to enter my password saying finder wants to create a new folder, pls enter your password. I did that, and it's all good, but is this still not a good idea? Will every time I create a library for an application or try to read/write to that location, will there be permission problems?

Thanks,

Nick

PS. If anyone knows which parts of macOS are actually a part the read-only Macintosh HD and which parts are part of Macintosh HD - Data? Or has a link breaking it down? Because in Disk Utility it shows the Macintosh HD partition only having 10 GB, but when I check the file size of /Library and /System, they total about 15 GB each

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 8:16 AM

In principle, you should be able to create that folder inside the Users folder. It is quite normal that you are asked to authenticate, because you are not the owner of the Users folder.

Why would you not want to use the normal Documents folder inside your own home folder? Care to explain?

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 19, 2020 9:41 AM in response to Nicolas Online

In previous macOS versions, I used to have my main Documents folder at the Root of my mac (Macintosh HD/Documents) sitting beside the Applications, Library and System folders.

Understandable, but in Apple's effort to protect macOS (in addition to protecting users from themselves and other users) that technique won't work in recent macOS versions. Don't become distracted with the creation of "Macintosh HD - Data". Neither one's root level should be used, so the fact Catalina bifurcated the startup disk is not relevant to that particular concern.

Will every time I create a library for an application or try to read/write to that location, will there be permission problems?

Probably.

As this is no longer possible, I was wandering if anyone had any information as to which parts of the Mac I can safely create my master Documents folder to.

Generally speaking the Home folder is where all of its User Account contents should reside. That's your playground, within which you can do whatever you want. Other folders have restrictions.

Home includes Documents and others Apple helpfully provides. Their contents are restricted to that User Account. If you want to share files (for your proposed "master Documents" perhaps??) use the Shared folder. It's available to all users of that Mac.

I think that's what you'll want to do in lieu of a Documents folder at the root level of its startup disk as you had been accustomed to doing.

Review Folders that come with your Mac - Apple Support.

Jan 19, 2020 8:39 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Good to know Luis.

Basically I gave up on using the 'Home' folder many years ago as so many applications put temporary files within user/documents or user/pictures etc like DaVinci Resolve, Adobe, Canon, Logic Pro X etc... Some applications give you the choice of selecting where certain folders are placed, but most still don't.

So I've decided to have my actual data and files completely separate. In previous versions of macOS they were at the root in Macintosh HD/Documents. Now just wanted to make sure I could put them within Users at Users/Documents with just one authenticated password create the parent folder document and anything that subsequently goes in or is read won't require authentication.

Jan 19, 2020 10:05 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks a lot. That's what I gathered. I successfully created my master collection of documents under the /Users folder rather than /Users/home and so far access to the files through both the finder and application libraries have not caused any problems. Only hiccup was creating the initial empty master documents folder under the /Users folder which just require an admin password.

Thanks a lot for your thorough response, hopefully it will help clarify the new system for anyone searching for such info.

Catalina - Data Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.