Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login Keychain Password Lock will not persist

MacOS 10.15.2 Catalina.

If I go to Access Keychains and click on File, Lock All Keychains it will lock the login password keychain as expected. The padlock icon changes to locked.

Next time I log into (say) my webmail in Safari it askes for the password.

It then concurrently unlocks the keychain. Padlock icon reverts to open.

Is this normal?

I have the same password for User Login as I do for Keychain.

In contrast, my Ipad will keep asking for the password as I would expect it to when logging into accounts that require Keychain.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 3:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 5:34 PM

I wonder if having the same password for Keychain as for User login, i.e. the default, that it unlocks automatically? I can see the convcenience, I was just looking for some added security.

Yes, sorry I missed that before. Same password unlocks keychain. If you want to be able to lock it, you must use a different password.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2020 5:34 PM in response to LD150

I wonder if having the same password for Keychain as for User login, i.e. the default, that it unlocks automatically? I can see the convcenience, I was just looking for some added security.

Yes, sorry I missed that before. Same password unlocks keychain. If you want to be able to lock it, you must use a different password.

Jan 20, 2020 7:55 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hi and thanks for responding. I cannot find the timed lock option, only Lock Keycheain or Lock All Keychains. I'll keep looking.

I managed to lock the Login keychain alone but it still let me sign onto here without asking for a password. During the session it did ask for password for "sharingd" and the padlock is still in place. Do I assume that the Safari saved passwords trump the Keychain ones?

Jan 20, 2020 10:20 AM in response to LD150

I set it to lock after 5 minutes inactivity and lock when sleeping. I woke up the Mac an the Login keychain was unlocked again.

Login Keychain Password Lock will not persist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.