Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine - Back up not encrypted: Time Machine is backing up an encrypted disk to an unencrypted disk.

Backing up my MacBook Pro 16 for first time and get the following message, "Back up not encrypted: Time Machine is backing up an encrypted disk to an unencrypted disk." File vault in system preferences says encryption is "off" for my hard drive.

Why is this saying this, and what does it mean and how do I fix it?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 6:23 PM

All new Macs (since 2018) are encrypted.

FileVault isn't really the encryption part. It is just the magic that allows the decryption login to continue to the user account login.

So, your disk is encrypted, and FileVault is off.

The Mac firmware does the encryption and decryption on its own. If you enable FileVault, then you control the encryption and decryption.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2020 6:23 PM in response to ttocsnaes

All new Macs (since 2018) are encrypted.

FileVault isn't really the encryption part. It is just the magic that allows the decryption login to continue to the user account login.

So, your disk is encrypted, and FileVault is off.

The Mac firmware does the encryption and decryption on its own. If you enable FileVault, then you control the encryption and decryption.

Feb 26, 2020 3:53 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hy Barney.

What you says makes sense. This is my Disk util Info screenshot about my internal SSD

It says that my internal SSD disk is not encrypted, while in parenthesis it say (encrypted without password).

What sounds strange to me is that I'm getting this warning since I've changed my TimeMachine disk, I've moved to an SSD drive (instructions here) and suddenly I'm getting this warning. I'm wondering if I'm risking losing my old backups.

Time Machine - Back up not encrypted: Time Machine is backing up an encrypted disk to an unencrypted disk.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.