Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMAC running slow

Hi everyone. I have been using my IMAC with no problems. i only use for mail, social media etc. Most of my music and photos are in ICLOUD. Just recently my IMAC has been really slow. at opening both websites and apps. Please can someone take a look and advise if there is a problem and what may help. Many thanks

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 3:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 10:04 AM

Hello,

Not much New that would be causing it, but with only 8 GB of RAM you'll have to restart more often, the problem, 16 GB barely suffices in today's world if you have an SSD instead of HDD...

Virtual Memory Information:
  Physical RAM: 8 GB
  Free RAM: 15 MB

It may also be a sign of HDD problems coming up, be sure to have a backup or clone.

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2020 10:04 AM in response to Ameythist1962

Hello,

Not much New that would be causing it, but with only 8 GB of RAM you'll have to restart more often, the problem, 16 GB barely suffices in today's world if you have an SSD instead of HDD...

Virtual Memory Information:
  Physical RAM: 8 GB
  Free RAM: 15 MB

It may also be a sign of HDD problems coming up, be sure to have a backup or clone.

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

IMAC running slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.