Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get rid of side bar

How do I get rid of this side bar I know how to swipe it off to the right

but I need to stop it happening ?

iPad, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 22, 2020 5:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2020 5:43 AM

1) Pull-down from the top of the slide-over window to instead create a split-view.

2) From the Split-view, using grab-bar on the central divider, drag the divider to the edge of the screen - increasing the window that you wish to keep to full-screen. This will dismiss the original slide-over view (that you converted to a Split-screen view) to a separate instance of Safari.

3) Optional: To force-close any additional Safari instances, swipe-up from the bottom edge of the screen - just enough to reveal the dock. Tap the Safari icon - and you will see all the currently “open” Safari instances; simply swipe unwanted instances off the top of the screen.

I recommend that you download the Apple iPad User Guide for iPadOS within the Apple Books App - and review sections entitled Basics, App Basics and Safari. Just search for “Apple” to find all the Apple User Guides. The iPad User Guide is an often overlooked resource of information.

An online version of the Guide can also be found here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/ipad/welcome/ipados

The online guide isn’t as comprehensive as the Guide found within Apple Books, but provides a further useful lookup facility.

I hope you find this to be helpful in resolving your query.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2020 5:43 AM in response to louie63

1) Pull-down from the top of the slide-over window to instead create a split-view.

2) From the Split-view, using grab-bar on the central divider, drag the divider to the edge of the screen - increasing the window that you wish to keep to full-screen. This will dismiss the original slide-over view (that you converted to a Split-screen view) to a separate instance of Safari.

3) Optional: To force-close any additional Safari instances, swipe-up from the bottom edge of the screen - just enough to reveal the dock. Tap the Safari icon - and you will see all the currently “open” Safari instances; simply swipe unwanted instances off the top of the screen.

I recommend that you download the Apple iPad User Guide for iPadOS within the Apple Books App - and review sections entitled Basics, App Basics and Safari. Just search for “Apple” to find all the Apple User Guides. The iPad User Guide is an often overlooked resource of information.

An online version of the Guide can also be found here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/ipad/welcome/ipados

The online guide isn’t as comprehensive as the Guide found within Apple Books, but provides a further useful lookup facility.

I hope you find this to be helpful in resolving your query.

How to get rid of side bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.