Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone and iPad no longer backing up to Mac

I backup my iPhone and iPad to my Mac. The latest backup I have for each is January 16 which is, I think, when I upgraded to iOS 13.3. There have been a couple of changes since then.

Now, whenever I plug in my device, a Finder window opens, highlighting the device, and instead of the functional screen I saw before, I see only the option to restore my iPhone. See image below.

I've gone through a variety of steps, including deleting the Finder preferences and relaunching Finder, using an Apple-supplied cable, and restarting my laptop, to no avail.

iPhone 6s, iOS 13.3

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 13.3

MacBook Pro late 2016, macOS 10.15.2

iPhone 6s, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 22, 2020 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 2:13 PM

Its possible the trust settings for your devices and computer has been lost or corrupted.

See here to reset them: About the 'Trust This Computer' alert on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

11 replies

Jan 27, 2020 2:15 PM in response to Phil0124

I'll give that a shot. Strangely enough, I had a call with Apple Support about half an hour ago, and while I was on the call my iPhone decided to start cooperating again. My iPad is still being moody about it.

What I was told, though, was that the engineers are aware of the problem and that a forthcoming update to Catalina may fix it.

iPhone and iPad no longer backing up to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.