Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make an alias of the trash folder.

I have a MacPro 5,1 with 10.13.6 with dual screens.. Can I make an alias of the trash folder so I can put it on the right screen. That would allow me to be able to drag files to the alias on the right screen instead of having to drag them all the way across two screens.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 22, 2020 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2020 12:02 PM

Choose Go to Folder from the Finder's Go menu, provide ~/.Trash/ as the path, click on the little icon in the title bar, and press the Option and Command keys while dragging it to the desktop. This will only work for items on the volume containing the home folder.

(178188)

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2020 12:02 PM in response to Bob1177

Choose Go to Folder from the Finder's Go menu, provide ~/.Trash/ as the path, click on the little icon in the title bar, and press the Option and Command keys while dragging it to the desktop. This will only work for items on the volume containing the home folder.

(178188)

Jan 22, 2020 12:21 PM in response to Bob1177

NOTE: The trash icon is an merging of all the .Trash folders for the user on each mounted volume.

If you have just one volume, then creating an alias for ~/.Trash will be OK.

If there are multiple volumes and you drag a file into the alias from another volume, it will not do what you expect. Most likely it will make a copy in your ~/.Trash, taking up space on your boot disk, but leave a copy on the volume you were trying to delete it from.

Jan 22, 2020 12:41 PM in response to Niel

I tried Niel's suggestion, however I am not sure what he meant by the "little icon in the title bar". I assume that the title bar is the top line in a Finder window. It was a folder icon beside the name "Trash". I was unable to drag it anywhere. At some point a Trash alias appeared below the Trash icon in the Finder that opened when I executed the "Go to Folder" search. I drug it to the right screen desktop and tried using it. The simple "Move to Trash" folder seems to work easier for me since it is less cluttered than the Trash Alias. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

How to make an alias of the trash folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.