Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My brand new Apple Watch 5 / iPhone XS Max will not download iOs 6.1.1 to my Watch. Quite Annoying. Any helpful answers?

I just unboxed a new Apple Watch 5 yesterday. I paired it with my phone and tried to update to iOs 6.1.1. It gave me the “Software Update Failed” message. After resetting the watch NUMEROUS times and even resetting my phone (which is running the latest iOs), it STILL WONT UPDATE! Any help?

Apple Watch Series 5, watchOS 6

Posted on Jan 22, 2020 3:21 PM

2 replies

Jan 26, 2020 9:18 AM in response to lizpereirax

Hi Liz,

It seems you're having some trouble with updating your Apple Watch, and I want to help.

Try these steps to delete and redownload the update again on your iPhone if you haven't already:

"If the update won't start, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, tap General > Usage > Software Update, then delete the update file. After you delete the file, try to download and install watchOS again."

Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If the issue continues, you might try to update directly from your Apple Watch:

"If you've upgraded your Apple Watch to watchOS 6, you can install subsequent updates without your iPhone:

1. Make sure that your watch is connected to Wi-Fi.
  2. On your watch, open the Settings app.
  3. Tap General > Software Update.
  4. Tap Install if a software update is available, then follow the onscreen instructions."

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

My brand new Apple Watch 5 / iPhone XS Max will not download iOs 6.1.1 to my Watch. Quite Annoying. Any helpful answers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.