You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

file size

trying to reduce the pdf file size of a 7 page document I scanned to my desktop,

without losing the quality.

Posted on Jan 23, 2020 7:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2020 4:18 AM

The process below may help:

Open your PDF file in Preview, and select: Export from the File menu

Then select "Reduce File Size" from the Quartz filter drop down menu. Change the name of the file at the top space to avoid overwriting the original PDF.

I have reduced a 10 MB file to just over 1 MB with no noticeable difference in quality using this process.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 24, 2020 4:18 AM in response to QLNMac

The process below may help:

Open your PDF file in Preview, and select: Export from the File menu

Then select "Reduce File Size" from the Quartz filter drop down menu. Change the name of the file at the top space to avoid overwriting the original PDF.

I have reduced a 10 MB file to just over 1 MB with no noticeable difference in quality using this process.

Jan 24, 2020 4:04 AM in response to QLNMac

Were you compressing it in the Finder?

That should not affect quality.

Still might be difficult to get it down that far, I just zipped/compressed a 10.8 MB PDF & the result was a 10.4 MB ZIP.

You'll have to find another way... if you posted the 5.5 MB one online somewhere & emailed them the link, could they download the PDF then.

Besides, sending a 5.5 MB attachment in any Mail App would make it anywhere from 7.7 MB to 11 MB.

Jan 24, 2020 5:00 AM in response to QLNMac

When you scanned the document(S), do you recall the resolution you had set for the scan? I would think a scan of 200, or 300 ppi would give decent results.

My example above was from a PDF file created within PrintShop, so the amount it was able to be shrunk by the quartz filter export may differ from a scanned file, but I must say I was most impressed by the amount the file size was reduced, and the quality.

file size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.