Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does a green dot surrounded by a larger green shaded area mean?

We lost our phone. We have used find my phone, but the location is not exact. What does a green dot surrounded by a larger green shaded area mean?

Posted on Jan 24, 2020 3:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2020 4:13 AM

Locate a device in Find My iPhone on iCloud.com

Find the approximate location of your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, Apple Watch or AirPods using Find My iPhone. You can locate your device if Find My [device] is set up for the device and the following is true:

• For an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or Apple Watch: the device is online. Find My iPhone on iCloud.com doesn’t support Offline Finding.
  • For AirPods: the AirPods are out of their case and near one of your iOS or iPadOS devices.

If you have Family Sharing set up, you can also locate a family member’s device. See the Apple Support article Share your location with your family.

1. In Find My iPhone on iCloud.com, click All Devices. In the list, the dot next to a device indicates its status:
    • A green dot  means it is online. If the device can be located, you also see the time it was last located.
    • A grey dot  means it is offline. If the device was recently online, you see the time it was last located. If the device has been offline for over 24 hours, you see Offline.
  1. Select the device you want to locate. The name of the device appears in the centre of the toolbar.
  • If the device is online and can be located, its approximate location is shown on the map.
    • Note: If your AirPods are separated from each other, you see only one location at a time on the map. First, find the one shown on the map and put it in the case. Then refresh the map and find the other one.
    • If Find My iPhone cannot locate the device the last known location is displayed for up to 24 hours. Click Notify When Found to get an email when it comes online.
  1. Do any of the following:
    • Update the location: click the green dot on the map, then click Refresh .
    • Move the map: drag it.
    • Zoom in: click the Zoom In button .
    • Zoom out: click the Zoom Out button .
    • Change the map view: in the bottom-right corner, click the current view, then click the view you want (Satellite, Hybrid or Standard).
  1. To locate another device, click the name of the current device in the centre of the toolbar to access the Devices list, then select a new device.

You can also use the Find My (or Find My iPhone) app on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Mac to locate a missing device.

Note: Maps and location information depend on data collection services provided by third parties. These services are subject to change and may not be available in all geographic areas, resulting in inaccurate or incomplete maps or location information.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2020 4:13 AM in response to so_ru_2020

Locate a device in Find My iPhone on iCloud.com

Find the approximate location of your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, Apple Watch or AirPods using Find My iPhone. You can locate your device if Find My [device] is set up for the device and the following is true:

• For an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or Apple Watch: the device is online. Find My iPhone on iCloud.com doesn’t support Offline Finding.
  • For AirPods: the AirPods are out of their case and near one of your iOS or iPadOS devices.

If you have Family Sharing set up, you can also locate a family member’s device. See the Apple Support article Share your location with your family.

1. In Find My iPhone on iCloud.com, click All Devices. In the list, the dot next to a device indicates its status:
    • A green dot  means it is online. If the device can be located, you also see the time it was last located.
    • A grey dot  means it is offline. If the device was recently online, you see the time it was last located. If the device has been offline for over 24 hours, you see Offline.
  1. Select the device you want to locate. The name of the device appears in the centre of the toolbar.
  • If the device is online and can be located, its approximate location is shown on the map.
    • Note: If your AirPods are separated from each other, you see only one location at a time on the map. First, find the one shown on the map and put it in the case. Then refresh the map and find the other one.
    • If Find My iPhone cannot locate the device the last known location is displayed for up to 24 hours. Click Notify When Found to get an email when it comes online.
  1. Do any of the following:
    • Update the location: click the green dot on the map, then click Refresh .
    • Move the map: drag it.
    • Zoom in: click the Zoom In button .
    • Zoom out: click the Zoom Out button .
    • Change the map view: in the bottom-right corner, click the current view, then click the view you want (Satellite, Hybrid or Standard).
  1. To locate another device, click the name of the current device in the centre of the toolbar to access the Devices list, then select a new device.

You can also use the Find My (or Find My iPhone) app on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Mac to locate a missing device.

Note: Maps and location information depend on data collection services provided by third parties. These services are subject to change and may not be available in all geographic areas, resulting in inaccurate or incomplete maps or location information.

What does a green dot surrounded by a larger green shaded area mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.