Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages

I'm using Pages 7.1 on MacSierra 10.12.6 I haven't upgraded my OS because I'm afraid I won't be able to use my CS6 Photoshop. But that's not my question--just the reason I'm using Sierra.

I'm organizing a project on Pages and I used to be able to move the individual pages around using Thumbnails in the right column. But they won't move. And when I try to move one, it seems to collect a few other pages as I move by them and it won't let me drop them in the new location and several of them move and get everything mixed up. If I close it so the mistake doesn't get saved, it turns out that it was saved! Help?!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 24, 2020 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2020 6:49 PM

If you have Time Machine backing up your work, you should be able to Revert to a previous version of the document (before you moved those pages).

If 'several pages move' when you attempt to move one, you are probably working on a Word Processing document, where the 'selection unit' is a Section, and a section may include several pages.

To move individual pages, each page must be a separate section. Try opening one of the Page Layout templates and copying your content to that document. You will lose the automatic creation of a new page when the current one is full.

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2020 6:49 PM in response to merleb

If you have Time Machine backing up your work, you should be able to Revert to a previous version of the document (before you moved those pages).

If 'several pages move' when you attempt to move one, you are probably working on a Word Processing document, where the 'selection unit' is a Section, and a section may include several pages.

To move individual pages, each page must be a separate section. Try opening one of the Page Layout templates and copying your content to that document. You will lose the automatic creation of a new page when the current one is full.

Regards,

Barry

Jan 24, 2020 7:06 PM in response to Barry

Wow! Thank you Barry! At first I wasn't sure what you were telling me to do so I opened a new document and found the option of converting to Page Layout in the File menu. I wasn't sure what that meant but I did it and copied my other document pages in and now I can move them wherever I want! Woo Hoo!

Jan 30, 2020 6:05 PM in response to Barry

Hi Barry,

I've been going along fine with the new Pages file and have been able to add many more pages and move them as needed and do everything I need to do. Except until an hour ago when I did something inadvertently and everything got locked together again. And somehow my TimeMachine hasn't backed up since Jan 27 which I hadn't noticed before. So everything I've done since you helped me fix my problem seems to be undone. All the pages are there but I can't move them around.

I'm not quite sure what I did, but it may have had something to do with a text box that I had copied and pasted and maybe pasted twice??Anyway there was a little arrow at the bottom of the text box that had a 2 on it and when I clicked on that it asked something that I forget--like did I want to un lock? something. I thought maybe I had linked two text boxes together so I said yes. After that I couldn't move anything anymore.

Last time I understood you to say I should open a new Pages file and start over by copying each page to a fresh page in the new file. I did that then with 15 pages. Now I have 39 pages and wonder if there is anything I can do without starting all over again copying each page. I think from what you said it has something to do with the File menu choice (convert to page layout/conver to something else I forget), and I've gone back and forth but that probably has made it worse.

If I have to start over I will, but if you have another suggestion I'd appreciate hearing it.

Merle

Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.