Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail keeps crashing

When I open mail, it keeps closing down voluntarily, sometimes it can stay open for 10 seconds. I have reset the iPad about 5 times, but it continues to repeat the same crash, as soon as I am into the email client it closes down. Next I will attempt to delete the mail account that I think may be causing a problem. But just in case you have any ideas, please let me know.

iPad 64g, iPhone OS 3.1.3, iPad OS 3.2

Posted on Jul 18, 2010 2:47 AM

11 replies

Jul 18, 2010 11:32 AM in response to stayingaliveuk

Update to email closing down. I have been able to isolate it to only one of my accounts, where previously I have had no problems. It could be the server of this account and I can only check that on Monday. Anyway I deleted this account and re-entered it. The same problem appears to be happening again. The other account I have has no issues. It could also be that there is a spam email message, that the email client has detected and closes the email down, not sure though. I will report further findings tomorrow.

Jul 18, 2010 11:34 PM in response to stayingaliveuk

I had the same problem with the iPhone and the iPad tonight. I have a POP, Gmail and Exchange account. I turned off and on each account until I realized that the POP (Shaw) account was to blame.

I made sure that I had all my emails on my mac first.
Then I isolated the it to the POP account by turning off each account.
I went to the online website of my email and removed all erroneous emails that could hang the server or the devices.
Shaw Cable has an alternate "Host Name" so I removed the "POP" host and used the high speed cable host. It will work the same as its on my home/local wifi.
The problem went away.
When I reverted back to pop.shaw.ca as a host, the problem appeared again.

Jul 19, 2010 2:51 PM in response to stayingaliveuk

I had a similar problem and we are with Shaw too. I called Simply Computing where I had bought the iPad and they thought it was a corrupt email. They suggested deleting all emails from webmail including Junk and deleted mail. I did this and Mail still crashed as I wasn't able to keep it open long enough to delete the emails on iPad. I had to delete the account on iPad and set it up again as a POP account and Mail is now working well again.

Jul 22, 2010 2:41 PM in response to stayingaliveuk

I have the same problem. I have 2 Shaw accounts on the Ipad. 1 is working fine the other crashes sporadically and then repeatedly. After reading the posts I disabled the offending account moved all mail from my inbox on the Shaw server (Shawmail) to drafts and changed the host name on the ipad settings to shawmail.cg.shawcable.net from pop.shaw.ca as recommended by Shaw's website. Once I put the mail account online it was stable and worked fine. However when I transferred the emails on the shawmail server from draft folder to inbox the Ipad account crashed again. Not sure where to go from here. I've had the Ipad for slightly more than 2 weeks and have battled this "bug" for the last week. None of the emails are spam or anything special. Any suggestions are welcome. Apple's clueless about this.

Sep 4, 2010 1:10 PM in response to canucker99

I have just come up with this porblem as well; the Mail app will not stay open more than a few seconds; I know that I have had a "Mail delivery error" on one of the 3 accounts (from my iPod, which still works). We are with shaw as well, so I'll try to isolate and delete the "Mail Delivery Error" message from Shaw's server, then see what happens. Wish me luck, and I'll report back,
Regards,
Brew Too

Sep 4, 2010 2:35 PM in response to stayingaliveuk

I took the advice given by others, and it worked:
1. deleted the problem account (1 of 3) from the iPad - the Mail app started working again on the other two accounts.
2. I went on to Shaw's webmail, and deleted deleted the one "Mail Delivery Error" message from the server;
3. I re-installed the previously deleted account onto the iPad, and it is now working fine.
I hope this helps others.
Regards,
Brew_too

**I think that Apple needs to discover and resolve the software glitch in iPad software that causes the Mail application to hang when a "Mail Delivery Error" message comes in and is not deleted from the server. NOTE: This has in no way affected my iPod Touch, which has four accounts and had 3 (now 2) "Mail Delivery Error" messages on it. **

Message was edited by: Brew_too

Sep 5, 2010 8:58 AM in response to Brew_too

I have been frustrated with the same problem. Mail crashes on both accounts when I tried to delete the messages, one of which is undeliverable mail. After a few tries Mail crashes in a second or two.
I deleted both accounts a reinstalled one of them, and the messages were still there, and Mail still crashed in spite of deleting all my mail on the Shaw server. I even renamed the new account, no matter, it still crashed. Does this mean a total reinstall of the operating system?
The dot me account is the third one and it’s fine. I live near Nanaimo BC and use Shaw for my main mail address.
Getting nowhere, not even fast!

Sep 6, 2010 7:30 AM in response to Dr. Don Butt

I finally spent 1.5 hours with support on line. He really knew what he was doing and very helpful. I had to back up all the apps, restore, then set up the mail accounts again. Instead of two Shaw accounts, now there’s only one account - with a pop for incoming, and a primary and a secondary for outgoing. There may have been a corrupted app, so I’m only reinstalling several apps at a time from the computer. The .me account is back in again but never did give any trouble.

Mail keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.