Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAC connects to my iPhone personal hotspot but des nor coonect to

I am able to connect to my iPhone's personal hotspot either through WiFi or USB cable connection. The iPhone indicates that my MACBook Air is connected and when I look at the network settings on the MAC, it also shows that I am connected to my iPhone. Nonetheless, when I try to surf on the Web, I am told that I have no internet connection. This problem occurs with my wife's iPhone as well, suggesting that the problem lies with the MAC. I have checked the Firewall settings and cannot see anything that would cause this problem. Any suggestions where next to look and try?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 8:30 AM

You should delete the Network Connections on your Mac...then rename both iPhones... (AND NOT THE SAME NAMES)...Change the name of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer - Apple Support

Then make new Network Connections on your Mac using WPA2 Personal only...try again.

3 replies

Jan 28, 2020 2:14 AM in response to fyip

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I tried as you suggested, that is:

A: wifi connection to Personal Hotspot

1) I cancelled all existing network connections on the MACbook Air

2) I renamed the name on the iPhone

3) Rebooted both the MAC and the iPhone just to make sure that all was cleared from memory

4) Turned on the Personal Hotspot on the i{hone and wifi on the MAC

5) Selected the newly named iphone on the MAC and connected to the Hotspot.

6) The MAC and the iPhone established a good connection, but I was still unable to connect to the internet.

B) Bluetooth connection to Hotspot

1) Turned on Personal Hotspot on the iPhone and Bluetooth on both iPhone and MAC

2) Connected successfully to the MAC with the iPhone but still unable to connect to the internet

C) USB connection to the MAC

1) Turned on Personal Hotspot on the iPhone

2) Plugged the iPhone to the MAC with a USB cable

3) Selected the iPhone on the Network settings and established a connection

4) Observed that there were 2 connections to the iPhone. Presumably one connection is the wifi connection while the other was the USB connection.

5) Successfully connected to the internet with this double connection. However, the iPhone was becoming hot.

6) Turned off the wifi on the iPhone but maintained my connection to the iPhone through the USB cable.

7) Was still abvle to connect to the internet with this configuration.

D) Connection through wifi and/or USB connection to a portable PC

1) I have no trouble connecting to the internet with my portable PC regardless of whether I connect through wifi or the USB cable.

On occasion during this troubleshooting I have come up with the 802.1x alert. Could this be contributing to my connection troubles?

Thanks!

MAC connects to my iPhone personal hotspot but des nor coonect to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.