Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.ifo files on Mac

Hi,

I have a problem with playing video from my Sony Handycam - I can play them on my PC using InterVideo WinDVD but I can not play them on my Mac. I have tried using DVD player as well as Quick Time but not of them recognizes the ifo-file format

Anybody got an idea on how to solve the problem?

Best

Per

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 18, 2010 3:20 AM

2 replies

Jul 18, 2010 2:37 PM in response to Per Dam Jensen

Strictly speaking, you're not playing the .ifo file on your PC. The .ifo file doesn't contain video or audio information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFO

... but if you drag them to WinDVD, they'll play the associated video/audio files:

http://www.afterdawn.com/techsupport/answer.cfm/how_do_i_play_ifofiles

So, what you need to try to track down is a Mac application that would play the associated files, rather than the .ifo files.

Jul 19, 2010 6:42 AM in response to Per Dam Jensen

Per Dam Jensen wrote:
Hi,

I have a problem with playing video from my Sony Handycam - I can play them on my PC using InterVideo WinDVD but I can not play them on my Mac. I have tried using DVD player as well as Quick Time but not of them recognizes the ifo-file format

Anybody got an idea on how to solve the problem?

I am not sure why you posted this in the QuickTime for Windows section as you have a Mac.

Do not bother trying to play these files using QuickTime, even if you bought the Apple MPEG2 QuickTime component you are likely to still have problems, however you should be able to play the video files using Apple's DVD Player.

As mentioned by b noir, IFO files are not the video files, from your message I would expect you actually have a folder of files looking something like...

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VTS 010.BUP
VTS 010.IFO
VTS 011.VOB

and these should be in a folder called VIDEO_TS

If you run Apple's DVD Player, and from the File Menu select "Open DVD Media..." and then tell it to 'choose' the VIDEO_TS folder, it should let DVD Player then play the video in that folder.

For your information the free VLC software (available for both Mac and Windows) should also be able to play these.

.ifo files on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.