Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't connect a keyboard to my old mac mini (2007)

I'm trying to get my old mac mini restarted because it has some software on it that I lost when I updated my new mac to Catalina. The old computer starts, the OS loads, I get a login screen. I have connected a wired mouse because it says it can't find a wireless mouse. But it still can't find a keyboard. I have an old wired keyboard but it doesn't recognize it. I also have a wireless keyboard but it doesn't see it and asks me to make sure it is discoverable. I don't have any of the documentation for the mini, so I don't know how to proceed. any wisdom would be much appreciated. BTW, the device I chose is wrong, but there is no way to specify an ancient mac mini).

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 4:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 6:00 PM

Try another USB keyboard.

It doesn't have to be an Apple keyboard, most any Logitech or Windows USB keyboard will work with a Mac.

If that doesn't work.

Then it sounds like maybe the USB ports are not working.

Another option, is to pull the HDD from the old Mac Mini and put it into a USB drive enclosure or on a USB to SATA adapter and connect it to the new MAC. see > https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_Mini_Model_A1176

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2020 6:00 PM in response to toyvin

Try another USB keyboard.

It doesn't have to be an Apple keyboard, most any Logitech or Windows USB keyboard will work with a Mac.

If that doesn't work.

Then it sounds like maybe the USB ports are not working.

Another option, is to pull the HDD from the old Mac Mini and put it into a USB drive enclosure or on a USB to SATA adapter and connect it to the new MAC. see > https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_Mini_Model_A1176

can't connect a keyboard to my old mac mini (2007)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.