Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't delete my search history

How do i delete my search history when the button is grey?

I've already tried almost everything but I just can't can someone please help?

I've never had this problem before

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 5:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 9:59 AM

Where are you seeing the grey button? Have you tried Safari menu/Clear History and going to Safari/History/Show All History?

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J.  When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.  Select Library. Then go to Safari.  Move the files that start with History to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the files from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the files to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

This may require a reset of some other Preferences.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2020 9:59 AM in response to Mursten

Where are you seeing the grey button? Have you tried Safari menu/Clear History and going to Safari/History/Show All History?

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J.  When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.  Select Library. Then go to Safari.  Move the files that start with History to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the files from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the files to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

This may require a reset of some other Preferences.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

I can't delete my search history

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.