Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil

I am considering buying an Apple Pencil but from research I have found it wouldn’t work with my generation of IPad model I wanted to confirm if this was true. My iPad generation is the 2017 5th generation.

iPad, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 1:06 PM

No it will NOT work.

Sorry.

You will need to seek out a third party, smart Bluetooth stylus compatible with your iPad model.

Currently, the one third party Bluetooth stylus, that I recommend to everyone with non-Apple Pencil compatible iPads, is currently out of stock everywhere.

So, for better stylus precision ( but NO pressure sensing or palm rejection ), you could simply get by with a commonplace, purchase anywhere “clear disc tipped” stylus and to be able to lay your hand palm on the iPad's screen while you draw or write, purchase and use a special, non-body electrical conducting, lycra-based material drawing glove that works by isolating your hand/palm and allow you to lay your hand/palm on the screen as you draw in these non-compatible Adonit stylus apps.

Something like this found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Anti-fouling-Drawing-Tablet-Graphic-Right-Ha nd-Left-Hand/dp/B017R8M2JY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1543548123&sr=8-1-spons&k eywords=lycra+drawing+gloves&psc=1

Many more makers of these types of gloves found on Amazon and in different hand sizes, as well!

Currently, this is your only available option.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2020 1:06 PM in response to I_have_no_idea_

No it will NOT work.

Sorry.

You will need to seek out a third party, smart Bluetooth stylus compatible with your iPad model.

Currently, the one third party Bluetooth stylus, that I recommend to everyone with non-Apple Pencil compatible iPads, is currently out of stock everywhere.

So, for better stylus precision ( but NO pressure sensing or palm rejection ), you could simply get by with a commonplace, purchase anywhere “clear disc tipped” stylus and to be able to lay your hand palm on the iPad's screen while you draw or write, purchase and use a special, non-body electrical conducting, lycra-based material drawing glove that works by isolating your hand/palm and allow you to lay your hand/palm on the screen as you draw in these non-compatible Adonit stylus apps.

Something like this found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Anti-fouling-Drawing-Tablet-Graphic-Right-Ha nd-Left-Hand/dp/B017R8M2JY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1543548123&sr=8-1-spons&k eywords=lycra+drawing+gloves&psc=1

Many more makers of these types of gloves found on Amazon and in different hand sizes, as well!

Currently, this is your only available option.

Apple Pencil

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.