Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to clean finger smudges from the keyboard and trackpad on a 2018 macbook pro -no touch bar

How to clean finger smudges from the keyboard and trackpad on a 2018 macbook pro -no touch bar

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 7:42 PM

According to: How to clean your Apple products - Apple Support

"When cleaning the outside of your MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air, first shut down your computer and unplug the power adapter. Then use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the computer's exterior. Avoid getting moisture in any openings. Do not spray liquid directly on the computer. Don't use aerosol sprays, solvents, abrasives, or cleaners containing hydrogen peroxide that might damage the finish."

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2020 7:42 PM in response to cat441

According to: How to clean your Apple products - Apple Support

"When cleaning the outside of your MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air, first shut down your computer and unplug the power adapter. Then use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the computer's exterior. Avoid getting moisture in any openings. Do not spray liquid directly on the computer. Don't use aerosol sprays, solvents, abrasives, or cleaners containing hydrogen peroxide that might damage the finish."

Jan 28, 2020 6:09 PM in response to Ferd II

" In order to properly disinfect these areas, you should use Lysol Wipes or Clorox Kitchen Disinfecting wipes and follow the general rules below when disinfecting your Apple products"

However after googling that I found many people who reported that after using a Lysol wet wipe (without bleach as advised by apple) that they experienced colour changes on their keyboard and damage to their computer. I was actually brought to this page while I was chatting with an Apple rep - and when I advised of the issues people had reported after using lysol wipes (as directed to by the apple site). The rep advised me that this page was archived and that I should NOT use a disenfectant wipe.

Jan 28, 2020 2:59 PM in response to Ferd II

Hi Ferd II, thank you for the link. I had reviewed this article and unfortunately it only speaks to cleaning the exterior of the computer. My question specifically is how do lean the fingersmudges and oils from the key board and track pad- I don’t want to do anything to damage my computer and was looking to for what Apple co recommends.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.