Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading from Yosemite 10.10.5

I am using a MacBook Pro OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. How can I upgrade with Snow Leopard is no longer available?

MacBook Pro 15", OS X 10.10

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 7:42 PM

7 replies

Jan 27, 2020 1:06 AM in response to delena2020

You are reading the links all wrong. Snow Leopard (10.6) OS X Lion (10.7) and Mountain Lion (10.8) are earlier versions

of Mac OS X.

You are on Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10), so you can upgrade directly to Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11), macOS Sierra (10.12),

macOS High Sierra (10.13), macOS Mojave (10.14) and the latest macOS Catalina(10.15), do the numbers make it easier to understand.

You do not need to go backwards to go forwards, so forget any notions about Snow Leopard,Lion or Mountain Lion.

Please read the following,

If you want to install a newer OS that is called an Upgrade. 

The model and year of your Mac will determine which macOS you can upgrade to,

read Section 1 in the following links.

How To Upgrade To macOS Mojave - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

https://roaringapps.com

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

If you are considering upgrading to Catalina be warned that it does not support 32bit apps.

Your Mac is probably running 32bit apps and these will need to be updated to 64bit apps,

some updates may be free, some may be paid. Use this app to discover which apps you have

are 32bit, https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/. Once the list has been created you can then

contact the developers of the apps to see if they provide 64bit updates. 

How to upgrade to macOS Catalina – Apple Support

Jan 26, 2020 11:05 PM in response to picas

Hello! No I actually do not know the most recent OS that my Mac is capable of running. I think I'm stuck at OS X Yosemite. I followed each of the links you provided (I've read them all previously but reread them in case I missed something) and they all say that I need either OS X Lion (or later) or OS X Mountain Lion (or later) to be able to upgrade to Mac OS Sierra and Mac OS High Sierra (respectively)... and when I dig back further, to get those earlier upgrades I need Snow Leopard- which is no longer available. So I am back to my original question of how to upgrade... Time to call Apple Support? I was hoping that I missed something simple... Thanks for your help :)

Upgrading from Yosemite 10.10.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.